Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[8)]
who wants to go out on sat the 22 and learn some clutching and maybe make there own kit. with all the people wanting to know clutching, anyone from the twin cities or north can come to pine city mn we can sit on the lake run against the radar. learn what does what hands on. I dont have enough parts to sell that day, but i have enough springs and helixs to show how they affect your machines. i only have polaris stuff but any one is welcome. i was going out before noon and spend most day out there anyhow. dont bring any money for me. if you find a combination that works for you we can write it down, when you get home to your favorite place give them the notes.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
What a great offer, I would assume this guy(MadCow)knows some secerets to clutching....take him up on his offer!! Not to often you get to run your set-ups against radar, I wouldn't have minded doing that with my sled...a before and after. Once again that's a real nice offer, and I would probely take you up on it if I could...Kudos to ya!

·
Registered
186 Posts
That would be awesome. I am not really familiar with clutching and what is involved in it but I am about 6 hours away from you........[:(]

Polaris4LIFE[:D]

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ditto... 6 hours for me too, plus my cousins bringing out his sled this weekend so we can do some riding. I wish i could make it, because i dont know much about clutching.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well it does sound like a great offer but from Winnipeg, thats quite a haul :(

Definately take some photo's and notes for us that are not so lucky to make it..

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how about this, what if we just talked q and a about wieghts, shape and mass what it does, until it is pretty clear. than we can move on to the primary spring, then the secondary spring and finaly the helix. let me figure out how to load pics into the computer with the new camera i will take pics of wieghts and such parts we are talking about.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Im bored so I helped ya speed things up :)

/polarisman/../images/users/xc700_02/clutch weights.jpg

/polarisman/../images/users/xc700_02/clutch springs.jpg

Maybe start a new thread called "clutching 101" [:D]

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
i hope my sled will be back together by then, it'll be close. If so, i'm there, i live in the twin cities, and my sled could use some clutch work and me some knowledge. And where are my 10MB 's on that chart :) 47.5 gram right? i think i have a blue primary spring. My seccondary is stuck on my jackshaft though, so I dunno what's in there.

-Dean

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next week i will take my clutchs off and use them and the little parts for pics. but look at the 10a vs the s55h. both are the same grams but the s55h is a lot more aggressive. it has more mass at the tip for a harder pull all the way to the top. the 10a is a trail wieght, lots of low and mid pull but you can see the taper that it has a lot less pull on top. also the s55h could replace the 10/56 even thogh it is a gram lighter. the aggressive ness makes up for a little lack of mass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
madcow why dont you keep some notes on what runs best on some of the polaris stock sleds and share some results with us all. sounds like you know your clutching.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ok, i am pretty much as new as possible when it comes to clutches. So i'm going to take it upon myself to ask some of the dumb questions :) Which clutch has the weights, where abouts are they located and how would i go about changing them?

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Weights are in the primary. They force the clutch closed to make the belt rise, and thereby change the gear ratio. The primary spring is to overcome the weights at low rpms, so that your clutch doesn't engage at too low of rpms, out of the powerband. In your seccondary there is another spring, that reponds to a torsional load on the sheaves I think, and it opens and closes the seccondary depending on the torque flowing through it.

Changing primary weights can be done without taking the clutch out of your sled, there are usually 3 weights, and 3 pins holding them in. First you need to compress the clutch somehow, to get the tension off the weights. Then, you can just loosen the nuts on the end of the pins, and carefully pull the pin out. There may be shims on either side of the weight, put those back in where they came from.

-Dean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts