Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever made their own set of pipes for their sled? Everytime I show my friend something new that I get under the hood of my sled he always makes a remark about how I should get triple pipes and how good it would look and sound. Then he says that he'll make them for me, but I always tell him no for fear of him making them wrong way and blowing up my sled. He doesn't own a metal shop or anything, just has a normal garage like the rest of us. Do you think It'd be possible for him to fabricate some pipes for me and not have my sled blow up?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
probably not, tell him to make pipes for his own sled first and ride it for a year

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, he has a twin and I have a triple (If you couldn't tell from my first post) I don't know if the would make any difference or not in testing would it?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
both are two strokes, both will blow up the same way if the pipes arent right, it will more than likely run like crap and then blow up or just plain old run like crap unless he knows what he is doing, maybe Rocket will have something to say bout this...lol

·
Registered
187 Posts
Without a tubing bender you're doing more harm than good,.. also nearly impossible to get all lengths equal,.. which is one of the primary reasons to have the pipes (equalized pressure all around) without the tubing bender you'll have "ribs" in your bends,.. and actually slow down air flow. Buy real pipes or stay stock.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy
[br]probably not, tell him to make pipes for his own sled first and ride it for a year
Exactly, let him grenade his sled first, then say I told ya so!!![:0] Really thought just like everyone else said, probelly not a good idea.....

·
Registered
502 Posts
If he doesn't have a slip roll and all the other equipment to roll the pipes, not to mention the mathmatical equations and formulas to build a pipe to spec of the motor and what you want, he isn't going to be able to make the pipes.
Custom pipes are hard to do because you normally start from a flat piece of sheet metal and roll the pipe in one long straight section from the head pipe down to the stinger, then you cut and roll the sections to make it fit your sled.
When i get more time, I'll scan a picture of some triple pipes that are hand crafted and post it.
Right now I'll try post a pic of a pipe we did for our vintage dome racing sled we used.

·
Registered
502 Posts
/snofan/../images/users/rocket/hirth1.jpg

·
Registered
502 Posts
71 puma chassis witha 340 hirth

·
Registered
502 Posts
ya, that's the sled I race at the super snow cross races in the domes. Hopefully this year if we get to race the domes again, we will have it clutched and tuned better.
I'm trying to get them to have a open mod vintage class for the domes cause I want to put a 2001 zr skid frame in it and fabricate some fox shocks for the front then put a 440 fan motor in it and make a modern drive system for it with a jack shaft and drive shaft and brake system from something. I think we can make it work so I can jump almost anything in the dome races! Imagine a 71 puma chassis jumping 20 plus feet

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That would be sweat!! Yeah I remember you pics from last year, it looked like a blast there.... were expecting more for this year if you race it again ; )

·
Registered
815 Posts
Concering building your own pipes...I remember watching on Monster Garage, Jesse James cut and fabricated two sets of SLP twins for the motors of two 800 RMK engines which dropped in the back of a custom snowmobile MINI. Was quite the show, but also Jesse James has been doing customizing for a while, and not everyone has the top guy from Tison-Performance working alongside to help fabricate the pipes. Keep it stock or buy aftermarket...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by Gnarly_Boots
[br]I remember watching on Monster Garage, Jesse James cut and fabricated two sets of SLP twins for the motors of two 800 RMK engines which dropped in the back of a custom snowmobile MINI. Was quite the show, but also Jesse James has been doing customizing for a while, and not everyone has the top guy from Tison-Performance working alongside to help fabricate the pipes.
It actually was the guy from Tison that cut and rebuilt them. Jesse went home and slept while he was doing that...

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
jesse james, lol,
sure he can make the pipes but like rocket said, his pipes might need to be at 4500 rpm or 9600 rpm, or who knows where the rpms will be at to make peak power, there are to many dynamics to just whip up a set of pipes, i can buy meduim volume pipes for my sled the hp will be at 9500 rpm but they are straight but marked where to cut and weld and i still dont want to mess with them because so far i dont have time to put in 40 hours or what ever it would take to do a good job in one shot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris Rider828X
[br]Has anyone ever made their own set of pipes for their sled? Everytime I show my friend something new that I get under the hood of my sled he always makes a remark about how I should get triple pipes and how good it would look and sound. Then he says that he'll make them for me, but I always tell him no for fear of him making them wrong way and blowing up my sled. He doesn't own a metal shop or anything, just has a normal garage like the rest of us. Do you think It'd be possible for him to fabricate some pipes for me and not have my sled blow up?
Ask your friend if he knows the speed of sound and the reflectivity of a sound wave inside of a chamber, if not its probley not a good garage to shop for pipes at, unless you want to use a soup can with holes in it,hmmm that use to work on old lawn mowers ..gabs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts