Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of SLP pipes (3 into 1) for my 96' Ultra. They are much quieter than the pipes with stingers, but they still will get me a ticket I'm sure. Has anyone done any experimenting with cutting open the silencer and putting a sound deadening material inside without restricting too much flow? Packing material or a dynomat type material? I'm not sure what I will find as far as baffles so I don't want to just go hacking up my silencer. Any help would be appreciated.
-Jeremiah

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have not packed any silencers like this and I do not know exactly what kind of arrangement they have in it. If you really wanted to, you could bend a coat hanger, or something like it, to stick down in the silencer. This would give you an idea of whats down there. Sorry I can't help you out any more. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Ultra680
[br]I've never known slp pipes as you describe to earn a ticket.
I would agree, many other pipes are much louder. My Aaens on my 600 mono block were louder then my SLPs on my 680.

·
Registered
318 Posts
At an auction I heard some AAEN pipes on an XLT and some LRM pipes on an Ultra and My SLP pipes are significantly louder than those were.

I asked SLP and they stated that their XCR 800 silencer may be marginally quieter than their Ultra silencer, but they also heard of a guy who modified their pipes to fit the stock XCR 800 silencer and that reduced noise more, but gives up HP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Ultra680
[br]I've never known slp pipes as you describe to earn a ticket.
In the area that I ride, and from what I have heard from buddies riding up in some areas of the UP, if a warden wants to he can have you open the hood and if it ain't stock you get a ticket. So the best way I can think of to avoid a ticket is keep it as close to stock sound as possible to avoid having to lift my hood. Yea I might loose 5 horse but I guess thats all up to the guy grabbing the throttle. See my situation?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
^^^You can't get a ticket just for having an aftermarket exhaust, if the warden knows about sleds and thinks your sled is really loud because you have a race silencer on it and he knows what they look like then he may be more inclined to give you a ticket. But they can't give you a ticket just for having aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by powersledder
[br]^^^You can't get a ticket just for having an aftermarket exhaust, if the warden knows about sleds and thinks your sled is really loud because you have a race silencer on it and he knows what they look like then he may be more inclined to give you a ticket. But they can't give you a ticket just for having aftermarket exhaust.
Then I guess the local warden for SE Wisconsin was lieing at our club snowmobile meeting. Is this a fact read from snowmobile regulations or your opinion as someone representing the legal system? or neither?[?]

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I'm not from SE Wisconsin and I have never even snowmobiled there, but it is in most state snowmobiling laws that there is a decibel limit to exhaust, at can be modified but not to be over a certain limit

·
Registered
690 Posts
I run psi modblasters and they are loud as hell, i think that sound level is BS, they dont do nothing about motor cycles being loud, they can give me as many tickets as they want, i love mine being loud, it sounds bad ass, and ill never make it quieter

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Originally posted by polaris09
[br] they dont do nothing about motor cycles being loud, they can give me as many tickets as they want, i love mine being loud, it sounds bad ass, and ill never make it quieter

Yes they do give out tickets for motorcycles being too loud and your frame of mind is one of the main reasons that our trails get shut down. People with really loud sleds piss a lot of other people off, that is why there are limits

1 - 12 of 12 Posts