Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in Manitoba know if there's any snow worth travelling for? How far from Winnipeg? Heard there was snow up at Hecla Island worth travelling for.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not much around the city, but... [:D]

City of Winnipeg
10:44 AM CST Monday 27 November 2006
Winter storm watch for
City of Winnipeg continued

15 to 25 cm of snow is expected Tuesday.

The potential for severe winter weather exists over these regions.

An intense low pressure system will move in from the south and affect southern Manitoba overnight tonight and Tuesday. This low will bring Plenty of wintry weather to much of the province. Snow and possible freezing rain will affect parts of southeastern Manitoba, while heavy snowfall will affect areas farther west.

The exact location of the freezing rain is currently unclear, but at this time it appears that areas south and east of Winnipeg, and the city itself, will experience at least brief freezing rain. Over more southeastern portions of the province, if temperatures rise above freezing, the precipitation will change to freezing rain and possibly to rain.

Farther west, the precipitation will stay all in the form of snow. 15 to 25 cm are likely, with the highest amounts in east-facing slopes of the riding mountains and the Manitoba escarpment.

In behind this system, the winds will increase and swing around to the north and temperatures will fall. This combination will likely bring areas of blowing snow to southern Manitoba.

Raceman1

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
we are getting dumped on right now as im sure anyone around winnipeg, manitoba knows. finally look like i will have enough snow to tune the sled.wooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo[:D]

cheers
ps looks like we have gotten about 10cm of a suppsoed 35 and its still coming down hard. 20 more to come what ever will we do. guess i dont have to kill another weather man today.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
[attachment=50298]

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
THERE IS LITTLE (4-5")SNOW HERE BETWEEN WPG. AND BRANDON. I[xx(]T MOSTLY DRIFTED AROUND. JUST ENOUGH TO GET OUT FOR A SHORT RIDE OR TWO. I HEAR THERE IS A LOT MORE NORTH AND WEST OF BRANDON. WE WERE RIDING HERE A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO IN LIMITED SNOW BUT IT CAME DOWN SO EVENLY. FIELDS WERE AS SMOOTH AS GLASS. PERFECT FOR A QUICK DRAG RACE. ALAS IT SOON TURNED TO MUSH.[xx(]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well, I went for a Family ride before Christmas with the kids around Hazelridge/Oakbank. Pulling them on a sleigh in the ditch, and in the fields...At that time there may of been 8 inches in the ditches and along some tree lines.
But since then I haven't been.
According to Snoman's website, all trails remain closed.
At this point I'd be happy with some decent ditch banging.
Anyone know if there is any snow around Pinawa or even Lac du Bonnet??

Let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got back from Otter Falls (just across the river from Pinawa) Not much snow. They need another foot before all the trails get groomed. Even riding on the river/lakes is risky. We only went where there were other tracks before us. Lake edges are smooth though, so we pinned it and got the carbon out. Trails from Nutimik east are groomed and not too bad, but still not enough snow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Should also mention I am hearing good things from west. Sask/MB border area all the wway up to Duck Mountains sounds really good with quite a bit of snow. Git Go'in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A buddy just got back from Saskatoon. He says they have piles of snow...
We're supposed to get anohter 2-4 cms in the next 2 days....big whoop![:(][:(][:(]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Originally posted by 670Mach1
[br]I've got about 20 cm more now. groomers should be going out.
Being a groomer operator, comments like this drive me up the wall. There's a reason no one wants to operate that machine, people who think there should be a groomed trail 10 seconds after it stops snowing.

I'm sure later this week we'll be starting to make the trails. This fluff needs to settle down first, then it needs to be colder than -1, otherwise all you're going to get is a sheet of ice.

It's not far off though, we'll be seeing trails being made probably before the end of the week.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Polaris-Man, keep up the good work when grooming. We all appreciate the time and effort that is put into setting up the trails. Good info to know about when to groom.... were just excited that Manitoba finally got snow and we all want to ride. Everyone just be patient and let the groomers get to work when they have time. The people that run those machines know better than any of us that don't have an idea what it takes to groom!!!!

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Thanks man. I haven't talked to anyone from the club, probably won't until at least Tuesday but I'm sure we'll be rolling by the end of the week. Have patience. The first loop takes a lot of time and effort to complete. Especially out here in the open prairie where some ditches are in very weird shape when we hit them the first time.

I usually have my camera with me.

·
Registered
489 Posts
we have snow out here just got bombed last night graders didnt clean the roads till 1:30 so there were lots of sleds out givinger down the road

·
Registered
109 Posts
Spent the whole day yesterday with some friends of mine out in the snow. All 1 - 1 1/2 feet of it!!! Now this is what we were waiting for. Now the groomers can actually start grooming. [:D]

·
Registered
9 Posts
We Just got 12 inches of the powdered w[attachment=54326]hite stuff. Have been out riding so have not posted. It is really great now. Snow up over the windshield constantly. Tough keeping your butt dry though, with all of the snow flying and the warm temps. Also the new sled has the liquid coolant under the seat so seems to warm it up some (Good & Bad) Need to get better waterproof snomo pants. Any recomendations?? we went riding with our groomer man yesterday checking the trails for fallen trees, wire and open gates. The photo is an example of fallen trail obstacles. Should have the first grooming done up to Spruce Woods Park done by next week end.. Here Here to all of our groomer guys and trail volunteers!!![attachment=54326]

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts