Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put my truck in the garage so we can finish working on her I will tell you what getting used to driving a manual will be a tough one. Sad thing was I stalled it liek 10 times before I realized the parking brake was on :(. I never have to deal with that on my dad's truck or my mom's car. After that I was able to get her into the garage no problem. Well I was still holding that heavy clutch in like mad which is tiring. I hope I can get the hang of it. Today was the first time I moved the car trailer too. Did that with my dad's truck though so no manual to fight with. Was interesting but after 2 or 3 tries I got it where I wanted it. I was really lucky cause the very first try of backing up the truck to the trailer I lined up the hitch and toungue perfect all by myself. I know that all by myself part sounds kiddy but I mean I didn't ahve anyone saying to go left or right or bakc or forward I did it on my own.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Don't worry you'll get the hang of it.... I'm only 15 without any lincens, but my reble mom lets me drive all the time. She has a standard, and I think I am semi mastering it. Still a slight jerk between 1st and 2nd the odd time, but that just makes it interesting.

Standards a fun to drive!

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha my granny first gear is interesting. 1st goes to like 5MPH maybe a bit more then it is time to shift. 6.4:1 or something like that first gear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey you will get used 2 it i am 15 with my permit and its easy as hell for me, i never stall or grind gears trust me you will get used 2 it in no time.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
And soon it will become second nature to you. Like riding a bike: you never forget. Well, most of us... Funny thing is, I ruin more automatic tranny's than i do manual. The only time i like an automatic is when i'm feelin' too lazy to shift........then i just don't use tha clutch at all ( except 1st. gear ).........simply slide it into gear when it feels right.......i love doing that. I'm sure all you fellow farmers out there know what i'm talkin about. My parents started teaching me to drive tractor and skidloader when i was only 5. Not alone of course.....

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
some of my farmer buddies have mastered the art of shifting each their trucks without the clutch. Only one or two of the trucks can do it really smoothly but they have all at least attempted. One of my buddy's trucks has bad synchros and man that thing is slam shifting into everything but first.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Not using the clutch to shift is not only incredibly lazy and slower to boot, it is also signing a death warrant for your tranny. For those people reading this thread and thinking about trying it just cause it sounds like fun....don't. You will blow your tranny this way. It's just a matter of when.

Now if you want to try something cool then try actually something useful like heel-toe shifting or double clutching.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
i wont drive another automatic unless its borrowed i love my stick shift burnouts are alot better

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha intended yeah but it is the fact that they can do it without grinding. Most people can't do that. I am not say I will do it or even attempt just saying I know people who can. It is definetally a quick way to a new transmission.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am laughing my arse off reading this one. I was there to. I used to hate manual trannys. Then I got my CDL. You thought driving a 5 or 6 speed was tough try a 13 speed, split shift. I picked up going up through the gears pretty easy, but downshifting was harder. you have to shift and match the right rpms to your gear. You start in like 2nd or 3rd and go up usually 5th then you hit the splitter and go back to 1st which is actually 6th. and so on, but coming down, or even going up you hardly ever clutch. when you get the right rpm it slips right in. going down in gears in heavy traffic in minneapolis is pretty hairy, first time there I missed pretty much every gear and had to start over many times.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Once you drive a manual you dont want to go back! its fun and you get alot more power! I learned to drive my grandpa's truck (manual) when i was 12, he gave me the keys and told me to make it go, and don't forget to use the clutch!
it is so easy once you do it a little.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by rocket:
I am laughing my arse off reading this one. I was there to. I used to hate manual trannys. Then I got my CDL. You thought driving a 5 or 6 speed was tough try a 13 speed, split shift. I picked up going up through the gears pretty easy, but downshifting was harder. you have to shift and match the right rpms to your gear. You start in like 2nd or 3rd and go up usually 5th then you hit the splitter and go back to 1st which is actually 6th. and so on, but coming down, or even going up you hardly ever clutch. when you get the right rpm it slips right in. going down in gears in heavy traffic in minneapolis is pretty hairy, first time there I missed pretty much every gear and had to start over many times.

I don't use the brakes until I see God, and I am never wrong. I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm sure that semi trannys are a whole different ball game, and something that I know nothing about and am the first to admit it. I would love to drive one sometime though just to give it a shot.

As for what clutch I learned on.... a 1988 ford F-250 HD when I was 12. Just reaching the clutch was difficult!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i find it easy to double clutch 9 speds and 10 speeds, i never shift in my car w/o the clutch tho, and usually dont in the truckes either

Give next year chance before we all give up...​

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by intendedacceleration:
Not using the clutch to shift is not only incredibly lazy and slower to boot, it is also signing a death warrant for your tranny. For those people reading this thread and thinking about trying it just cause it sounds like fun....don't. You will blow your tranny this way. It's just a matter of when.

Now if you want to try something cool then try actually something useful like heel-toe shifting or double clutching.

[/quote]

Yes, i should have said that. I DO NOT recommend it, but merely meant to say that i do it once in a great while, and the fact that it is possible. For cars and pickup trucks always use the clutch.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
manuals are a pain..... they take awhile to get used to.... ill leave yall alone im annoying

My wife said its me or my sleds... Im sure gonna miss her

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after reading rockets thing I should mention the 2 people I know who can successfully shift without the clutch in their trucks both know how to drive big rigs and the one learned manuals on a 12 speed truck. He is going for his CDL sometime soon.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
CDL?

Give next year chance before we all give up...​

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
don't know what it stands for something something license. It is a license to drive big rigs like semis and other real big trucks. You don't need it for all big trucks though. Like my dad had a box truck I think it was like a 25 footer or something and he didn't need it for that. Though cops in Jersey liked to pull him over and yell at him because he didn't have his operating number printed on the truck. He would let them rant and rave then inform them that a CDL was not required for the truck he was driving.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What is the whole point of double clutching?

GO HARD, OR GO HOME

1 - 20 of 26 Posts