Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i read the mags or rags, all you here is light wieght and centralized mass. cat doo and polaris are all selling the slow cross image. but yamaha comes out with the rx-1, it is the opposite of what the others are making. it is not sold as a racer wannabe like the others it is marketed as trail performance, lake runner, groomed trail cruser, and yet it outsells all the others. kinda wierd, i wouldnt buy one of the others because of the fit and finish, if i pay that kind of money for a sled i dont want to see wires hanging or zip tied, i dont want to see the riser blocks. i want a finish product. i dont want the seat made to slide me over the tank. i want to put on a couple hundred miles and be able to stretch a little in the process. if i am paying that money for an 800 it better have more than a pissy 140 hp, that dies at 100mph. the rx1 isnt perfect but at least it has some top end speed, low on stock power but atleast there is a ton of potential in the aftermarket. and the fit and finish is the best buy far, not even comparable. the crappy mags say it is not a rough trail machine, thats what they say about the xcr, and it is the best trail machine i have had. so maybe there is something to the rx-1. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by madcow
[br]if i am paying that money for an 800 it better have more than a pissy 140 hp, that dies at 100mph. the rx1 isnt perfect but at least it has some top end speed, low on stock power but atleast there is a ton of potential in the aftermarket.
140 hp in ANY sled is alot IMO. The 100 mph barrier is mostly affected by how well you setup your sled. Not just because it's ONLY a lousy 800. My 440 can do 100 mph if that means anything. You mention the RX-1 is low on stock power. How is it low? 140 hp is excellent in any 4-stroke snowmobile. Yes, there may be alot of aftermarket potential, but i bet you that the majority of RX-1 owners will not be modifying them. I'm sure they didn't spend $10,000 on a machine just to have to spend more money on the aftermarket.

No offense, but i needed to express my opinion on this matter.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i dont know bout u guys, but the time i spend on my sled at over 100mph is bout 0.05% of the time. all i care bout is if the sled gets me to 100 fast, after 100 is to fast for me IMO....i think the riser blocks and the whole handlbar setup look nice ont he firecats and ProX's, hell, most arctic cat's have gone to that mainly for the agressive riders cuz they want the tall straight bars, since u seem to bash all the other brands iw ill take my tiem to bash ur precious RX1 and yamaha, and what do u mean u wanna put a couple hundred miles and stretch a lil bit in the process??? if u wanna stretch get off the sled and walk around and stretch.....i dont see where ur goin w/ that???? as far as i can see cat, doo and polaris have finished products, everyone will have different views bout what is the best machine. not many ppl have even rode the new models to even begin to compare so how can u say the RX1 is better than all the other machines??? after this winter when everyone that has purchased a new model actually gets to ride it for more than a rip up and down the yard, then we can say how they actually are, i mean, how many ppl actually have run their sled past the break in period w/ actual riding?? besides the racers??? they just came out spring of 2002...so i doubt many ppl have...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
All I want to know is there anything being produced that you can't find a million problems on?

Another thing is I like the looks of the "slow-cross" wanna be sleds. Oh yeah if snocross is so slow and boring why do these events bring in tens of thousands of fans to the events? It obviously isn't the nice gentle riding and slow, easy going of the sport. It is flying a hundred feet landing only to grab the brakes and make a tight corner, right before the guy behind you would pass you. Think a little before you make a comment like that.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i agree w/ big willy, but drag races are exciting too, but when u think of it, they are marketing where they should cuz the younger ppl are interested in snox, and want sleds like they see in sno x......makes sense doesnt it???

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
140 HP Stock is good for even a car with a 4 cyl. 4 stroke! It should be fine for a snowmobile.

I agree, the RX-1 IS something else, but it isn't for everyone, that probably would include me. Sure, it is fit and finish...but so are the other machines out there on the market. I know there are a lot of snowmobilers out there who would love to have a machine like this, I say, go for it. Also, what makes you think this is outselling every other machine? For all I know, all the manufacturuers are in a slump and not selling much of anything. Who said that an 800 has to have 140 hp? Is that some sort of rule? I don't remember seeing it in the "How to manufacture a Snowmobile" book.

I have to agree that the RX-1 is a nice sled, and you say you won't buy others because it isn't what the RX-1 is. So, just go out and buy an RX-1 and you should be happy.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
going along the ditches here is striaght......but hittin them ditches at 70 is plenty fast for me unless i know my lines and exactly where to hit em at do i go faster

when u say u wont buy ne other cuz its not the RX1, i prolly wont buy an RX1 cuz i dont want that, i want a quick light 500 or 600 2stroke...

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Exactly going 100+mph in a bumpy ditch on a 650 lbs machine. Not exactly what they were marketing. Dry weight means nothing. Who drives their sleds without coolant, fuel or oil?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
accoring to the yamaha website the RX1 has more than 145 hp...so that means maybe 150 if that, how much cash for the average 800 cc sled? id guess between 7 and 9 G's, how much for an RX1, id guess over 10 G's...hp for hp, what is better???

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Just a few things though.

First of all, I'm taking insult to this because
a) my brand new sled isn't slow.
b) Snocross isn't slow.
c) Some people LIKE the way the hanging wires/zip tied wires look.
d) If you are driving over 100 mph all the time, you are the reason people hate snowmobilers.
e) Nobody cares what you want so why did you have to bother with this stupid topic? All you are doing here is trying to piss off anyone who didn't buy the dumb 4-stroke.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]Just a few things though.

First of all, I'm taking insult to this because
a) my brand new sled isn't slow.
b) Snocross isn't slow.
if ur goin under a 100mph.....its slow damnit!!!

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Sorry. I know everyone around here goes 100+ mph all the time constantly down the groomed trails.

Sorry, I'll stick with my lightweight 2 stroke, instead of going with a 4 stroke, 4 cylinder tank.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Another thing, the RX1 is one of the most expensive sleds out there. What moron really wants to then blow another few thousand dollars on turbos and junk to just add weight, make it handle even heavier just to add a few MPH. Seriously, who drives over 100 MPH all the time anyway?

·
Registered
502 Posts
my .o2 worth.
RX-1 sold over 18000 this year. Call Yamaha and ask them. That's the most ever for a single sled besides the old panther I think in the 70's. How many f-cats, revs, or any other model were sold? I know the RX-1 outsold everything this year.

RX-1 price is around 8 grand. Not much over what a new 700 or 800 is. I know we paid less than retail, but I'm sure it's around 8 or maybe 9 grand.

The RX-1 is a nice sled. The 4 stroke power delivery is nice and the sled doesn't feel that heavy when your riding it.

100mph is not too fast only when your racing on a race course designated for racing only and sanctioned. I do not condone this for any thing else. Leave the racing to the track and not the trail.

RX-1 dyno for us stock was 143.6 if I remember right. This number will go up a little with more miles.

Buy what you want to buy, but coming from me I think people will like the RX-1 for certain things and not others. It is a nice sled, I think the REV's are nicer and cooler and fit and finish is far superior to anything else this year. Except Polaris cause I haven't seen a new polaris yet.

I am really tired and probably don't make any sense.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Originally posted by rocket
[br]100mph is not too fast only when your racing on a race course designated for racing only and sanctioned. I do not condone this for any thing else. Leave the racing to the track and not the trail.
My thoughts exactly. [^]

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
Originally posted by rocket
[br]and the sled doesn't feel that heavy when your riding it.

Buy what you want to buy

No, it may not FEEL that heavy, but it is. The more weight, the more wear & tear on parts. slamming a 700 lb machine vs a 500 lb machine, the 700 pound sled is gonna feel it more.

buy what you want to buy is right, just don't trash everything else cuz you THINK it makes "pissy" horsepower.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If ya need to go 100+ mph all the time, then enter the races. I agree with Polaris Man regarding why people hate snowmobilers. Those who insist on going 100+ mph everywhere they go, will eventually end up with their name in the paper . . . it's called an obituary!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I checked out the mountain version of the RX1 last weekend. All I can say is I would hate to get that pig stuck at 10,000 ft. That thing is heavy. I thought my RMK was heavy. Then look under the hood and see how they pack everything under there. I don't think I want to work on that thing either. Just my opinion. They do look cool. Riley

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm with Riley on that one. I don't see the market appeal in the mountain segment. 5 extra pounds is a lot when you are buried to your chest in snow and trying to lift out a sled. It's a great start to a 4 stroke marktet, but I'll stay 2 stroke until they improve on it a little.

Truth be told I've probably done my funnest riding at 30 MPH or less in really deep snow. That is not to say you don't need power to ride like that, but you DON'T need that much speed!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts