Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of putting one on my pickup, with a cold air intake. I was wondering do they really work, do they increases horsepower, gas mileage and throttle response? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It depends, What type of truck do you have? If your truck is fuel injected(not throttle body)and currently uses one, an aftermarket intake and MAF,should yield a noticable difference.Maybe 10-20 hp. however if you dont currently have one, adding one wont help. It's purpose is to monitor incoming air,so the engines computer can match the fuel accordingly.I hope that helps,the title left me wondering if you meant aftermarket MAF sensor or just a MAF in general.
Dave

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
What kind of truck is it? I put a aftermarket one on my 96 F150 and it did nothing so I sold it again. If you currently have a speed density system switching over to mass air is usually a good upgrade.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If it's a Chevy and it's a Granatelli(spelling ?) MAF don't do it, they tend to set off engine codes.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
You should already have one in your system so , yes you could put an aftermarket one in. You should get more performance out of the modified intake than the MAF. I like to modify the intake and exhaust on my vehicles. On the Fords you can usually get 10 - 30 hp and better throttle response. My F150 has a K&N FIPK intake and a gibson catback exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
I agree, save you money for other mods first such as headers/exhaust and then intake. Adding chip will get you the most out of those mods.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know their one already in my pickup, I was just wondering if a after market worked better. I'll save my money for a programmer, more exhaust mods and intake.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Yeah if your truck already has one then you would be pretty disappointed. Considering how much the maf is, the money could buy alot more.
Your truck engine like anything else is basically an airpump. The easier it pumps air into and out of the engine the more efficiently it will run. The first things to replace on a car/truck are the intake and exhaust.
I bought an expedition 3 weeks ago and have already installed cold air intake, headers, catback dual exhaust. Computer programmer is next along with electric fans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts