Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a '94 puma 2up, but my track is rubbing on the tunnel with 2 people on the machine. Isn't there a way I can adjust it? Its fine when I'm solo, but it grinds pretty good with 2 guys on it.

Any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
adjust this to its max setting (its the black plastic triangle you see here in the picture)
[attachment=49827]

If that don't work... shock rebuild and new springs, the big springs that are on that black triangle

edit- Crap.. I attached the wrong picture. The wrong thing is circled in that picture haha.. You know what I mean :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks, I'll try that. The shock is brand new, so it shouln't be that. I may need a spring tho....[:(]

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
I mentioned spring because that is a 94. And from my experiences reading stuff on all these forums, changing that big spring that sits on that triangle block makes a huge difference (new spring of course)

Edit- there is no stupid questions.. but there are alot of stupid answers

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agreee with Matt, a new spring and going to the stiffest setting on the block will definitely help. There is also an aftermarket billet aluminum spring block you can get for about $30.00 that has a fourth setting on it, both stiffer and more sturdy than stock. Also, when/if you replace the springs, talk to the dealer about getting a larger diameter wire. That will stiffen it up also. With all the stiffening you are doing to accomodate two riders, you may have to back off quite a bit to go solo and get a decent ride.
If you want, I can take a picture of the billet spring block that I have in my 95 Jag 2-up (it's actually a 1-up with a two-up seat, but works well for us), and see if I can find the source where I got the block from. I also replace the stock springs with spring for my 96ZRT6. Really stiffened up the back end when the wife and kid are on it together.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah springs are where its at, I got the fat boy springs for my zr and they are made out of thicker material, definitely stiffer. The shock dampens the recoil action of the spring. Grease up the suspension too while you're down there. If you do replace the springs, its probably easiest just to take the whole thing out rather than fight it inside the tunnel.
Check your track tension too, if its too loose it might be slapping up in the tunnel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another technique for re-springing the torsion springs is to remove them, take them to a auto, power sport, or metal shop (start at the AC dealer first) and ask if they would put the spring in the hydraulic press and tweak it. Most shops will do this for a fraction of the cost of a new spring.

These springs sag and develop a "set" over time as as they are under a constant load and this technique will restore the tension the spring had when new. Tweak in the direction of the arrows I have drawn. I hope this helps and Good luck. -Sofa

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Originally posted by Sofaking
[br]

why does my picture now have "cardomain.com" in the corner?

You could just save the picture, modify it, and then upload it to SF again.. just fyi so you don't have to go thru the hastle of hosting it on cardomain.com [8D]

·
Registered
795 Posts
If its a 2up see if you can get overload sprigs for it. My grandpa's 98 panther 2up has them and with a flip of a block they lay out of the way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I flipped that block and it made a big difference. It was on the lowest setting, now its on the highest.....works mint!

Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts