Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2005 Polaris Classic. It has only 107 miles on. Was started every season but never really driven...owner was scared of it...long story. Anyway I can't get it to go into reverse. I pulled the chain case cover off and all the gears look pristine. When I loosen the retaining coupler to decrease the spring pressure I can grab onto the reversing gear and pull it out by hand. But once I tighten the retaining bolt I can't get it to budge.
I even put the chain case cover back on so that the fork was over the reversing spine but once again I can't get the lever to budge.
Does anyone have any ideas, I don't really want to take it the polaris dealer (40 miles away), but I am at a loss as to why it will not engage. It is as though the spring is too strong?
Please any help would be muchly appreciated.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I wish I knew more about how PERC worked, but it's not the mechanical reverse you may be used to either. By pressing the reverse button doesn't just change gears, the engine just about shuts off before it switches gears, and then starts back up. When you try to get it to engage into reverse what does the sled do? Does it just die or do gears grind?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it is a 2005 Classic 500 with Polaris mechanical reverse (pull out on the reverse mechanical lever)...it does not have PERC.
With the gear case cover off...if I loosen the retaining bolt I can grab onto the reverse gear and pull it out, so it doesn't appear to be binding on the spline. Once I tighten the bolt I can't get it to move at all. Even reassembling the gear case cover and pulling on the lever it will not budge. I have tried moving the track forward and backwards (by hand) and still can not get it to engage

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
what about shifting with the bolt removed, but everything else inplace, cover ect, maybe it is to tight, idk if oyu can put it on the classic, but maybe you should look into PERC only about 300 bucks for a ocmplete kit, and all it does, (not 100% sure on this), is change the timing so the engine spins backwards, except it does it really fancy so you dont hurt anything, and yes it does technically stop the engine because it has to stop before advancing in the other direction

·
Registered
848 Posts
Oh... If the retaining bolt is loosened, will the lever engage the gear alone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
- The 2005 has the fuji motor which, from what I have read, cannot use PERC.
- I haven't tried leaving the bolt loose and seeing if it will shift...I guess I can try that tomorrow.....It is just strange that the spring would be too strong considering it is all factory

·
Registered
848 Posts
That is strange to me too, that is why i think it could be something like a foreign obstruction not within the gear case. But then the same... it's unlikely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I can't see there being any obstructions....all there is a tie rod attached to the chain case cover and to the plastic handle ... you pull out the plastic handle which should cause the lever on the chain case to rotate....the lever is internally connected to the reverse gear via a fork..which I verified is over the reversing gear.....well all I can do is loosen it and try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
but bein an 05 with that low miles, possibly never got used and something is stuck that you woulndt think would affect it, this is one of those off ebay is it, i seen two poo 500's on ebay one with 95 mile one with 100 somthin, and they were around the 05 year range

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok..so I removed the spring holding the reversing gear and checked to make sure that everything is good...without the spring the reversing gear moves back and forth smoothly on the spline and mates with the pinion gear. I reassembled everything making sure the shift fork was in the shift fork groove, but once again it will not shift into reverse....How much force do you need to exert on the reversing lever (which is plastic) to shift the sled into reverse...I have pulled on it pretty hard but don't want to "break" anything....it is as though the spring is too strong...Anyone with experience working on the mechanical can give me some pointers....it would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

·
Registered
848 Posts
Replace the spring with one that has a lower spring rate then.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
My guess is that the fork is not aligning into the groves on the gear. I assembled mine and didn't get that part right the first time.

Does the lever move at all? Some?

I'm not really sure they even make a lower rate spring. Never heard of one.
D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just a quick thought.

Did you check to see it the cable itself is free? I had the cable seeze up and thought that the slide was bad.. kept taking it apart and getting the same result. Until I tried to pull on the cable to see if the fork would move.. in my case it did'nt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
botts said:
I recently purchased a 2005 Polaris Classic. It has only 107 miles on. Was started every season but never really driven...owner was scared of it...long story. Anyway I can't get it to go into reverse. I pulled the chain case cover off and all the gears look pristine. When I loosen the retaining coupler to decrease the spring pressure I can grab onto the reversing gear and pull it out by hand. But once I tighten the retaining bolt I can't get it to budge.
I even put the chain case cover back on so that the fork was over the reversing spine but once again I can't get the lever to budge.
Does anyone have any ideas, I don't really want to take it the polaris dealer (40 miles away), but I am at a loss as to why it will not engage. It is as though the spring is too strong?
I am having the same problem with my 02 600. It was working fine until I replaced the track. Everything went back together just fine but now the reverse won't engage. My lever will come out part way but will not fully go into reverse. Try using a pry bar with the chain cover removed and see if the reverse gear will come out at all with the spring in place. The spring has to compress fully into the end cap and mine acts as if it got sprug and is too big around to fit all the way in. A friend has a replacement spring that I am going to try this weekend. That may fix mine but I'm not sure whats going on with yours. Obviously you have made sure that all the working parts are free in the linkage. Once again, try to mimic what the lever and forks do by prying the bottom gear out with the spring in place to see if something there is binding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
660jeffr said:
botts said:
I am having the same problem with my 02 600. It was working fine until I replaced the track. Everything went back together just fine but now the reverse won't engage. My lever will come out part way but will not fully go into reverse. Try using a pry bar with the chain cover removed and see if the reverse gear will come out at all with the spring in place. The spring has to compress fully into the end cap and mine acts as if it got sprug and is too big around to fit all the way in. A friend has a replacement spring that I am going to try this weekend. That may fix mine but I'm not sure whats going on with yours. Obviously you have made sure that all the working parts are free in the linkage. Once again, try to mimic what the lever and forks do by prying the bottom gear out with the spring in place to see if something there is binding.
The new spring fixed the problem although I think if I would have taken it for a test drive instead of fiddling with it in the garage it may have worked anyway. Thing work differently when you are actually driving the machine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The drive belt may have been too tight and pre loaded gears making it difficult. However I bet you re assembled correctly as fork may have not been installed properley as Dman suggested.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm trying to figure out mine, I can't understand how the whole concept works. I have a coupler that slides into a gear that has needle bearings on it. The coupler which is smooth on that end slides through the needle bearings and onto the driveshaft. I'm confused as to how that turns the driveshaft. It looks like it will just spin the gear and not the drive shaft. Maybe I just need to trust the instructions and put it together and try it out.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
OK....My wife has an '05 Classic 500 also....we had the same issues. When you open the hood, follow the metal rod to the end. You will see an 'L' shape at the end. This is the culprit. It has to perfectly placed to work. I brought it back to the dealer and they showed me what to do in the future. You must have pulled on it too hard once or twice and bent the 'L' too much. Polaris knows of this issue, and they fixed it for no charge. This linkage must be perfect to work right. It has been 4 years and we have not had an issue with it.

If you would like, I would be glad to take pictures and email them to you.

JT

·
Registered
1 Posts
XCSPDUDE - I have the same issue, took it apart pulled the fork pff and rod and replaced the oil seal. Could you send me the pictures your talking about?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts