Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a shortcut to re-installing the spring, washer, and bolt into chaincase lower gear assembly? That spring is just too much to push in and try and start the bolt. There's gotta be some trick to it.

This is on an 03 classic 600.

already threw the wrenches 3x and bloodied my knuckles......only thing left to do before wrap up of my 75 yr old fathers sled.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It's a pain, but it's possible by yourself. Try to get a second set of hands to help you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I also threw wrenches, cussed, kicked, punched. It took me a few seperate trys, but finally got it by myself. I agree an extra set of hands is needed, think i used a pry bar to.

·
Registered
85 Posts
we do them all the time at the shop buy ourselves, we just use a bar to compress the spring. its kinda hard if its the first one you have every done but after you do them a few hundred times its like a walk in the park.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got the bolt /spring on and cover reinstalled. reverse feels like its correct.

How much fluid? 03 500 classic....

best track adjustment method w/o spring tension gauge?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bolted up the speedo gear/cap etc. tighted everything up before putting the reverse gear on.

If you trying to convert to reverse i think it requires a different driveshaft..

Make sure you get gears and shims all back on in the correct position and order.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I know it's a pain to do. I couldn't do it without a little creative use of gorilla tape. I compressed the spring to the gear, wrapped a couple lengths of tape on each side, bolted in, and then removed the tape. WOrked great.
D

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i made a big flat 12inch flat bar with big hole about 3rd the way from one side. 1 person to push bar and another person to start the bolt.Remember to line up the reverse shift fork when installing cover with NEW gasket.

everything is fine after firing up tonight.

now maybe ill look at that gas gauge that isnt working............

then off to work on the 97 SPX.........so love this sled but shes getting tired........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts