Snowmobile Fanatics banner

should polaris pay for the sled to be helicoptered out of the mountains?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just a question. new sled has roughly 1000 miles or clicks cant rememebr now (not my sled) it had what looked to be a meltdown in the mountains the plug was grey. it was shut off before it completly died. needless to say it was an expensive tow bill with the helicopter. the sled is under warranty was only bought in december ran polaris oil and good gas (high octane no ethanol) should polaris reimburse him for this tow bill. just curious as to what people think. thanks guys

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
NO. Insurance should if anyone. When a vehicle dies on the road, the roadside assistance part of the insurance policy pays for the tow. Not the warrenty on the part of the vehicle needing attention.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
^^ Agree 100%

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I agree with the above that that is what will probably happen, if anybody pays for it. However, the question was SHOULD so i said yes.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
If you want to have a convenient rescue then stay where people can reach you. This is on the same level as people who rely on the newer emergency locator systems to be the "bail out" when they get in trouble. The sled quit working, the manufacturer should only be responsible for fixing what failed. If Polaris is responsible for getting the sled out then they are also responsible for EVERY cent lost by anyone that has missed out on a weekend when their Polaris sled broke down. If they are responsible for retrieving the vehicle then they should be notified where it is and be given the choice of how to retrieve it. I'm sure a couple of guys could have hauled the sled out for a lot less than a helicopter costs. There is an extra price we all take on when we get into "adventure" sports.

If the sled broke down in his front yard would he call the dealership to come and get it? Why should distance from the dealership determine if responsibility should shift from one party to the next?

Always assume the equipment is going to fail and plan accordingly. How much risk you assume is up to you. But it is YOUR risk.

Polaris is not responsible for paying anything more than a repair bill.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unfortunatly there was no i mean NO other way to get it out. went into a bowl and had to get some guys help to get the other sled outluckily they had a 150lb guy who road the other sled out. so helicopter was the only way. i was just curious as to see what people thought i think it would be nice of a dealer to help out anyways considering its been in the shop multiple times already and they say theres nothign wrong with it. just curious

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
leadfoot33 said:
[highlight=yellow]unfortunatly there was no i mean NO other way to get it out. [/highlight=yellow] went into a bowl and had to get some guys help to get the other sled outluckily they had a 150lb guy who road the other sled out. so helicopter was the only way. i was just curious as to see what people thought i think it would be nice of a dealer to help out anyways considering its been in the shop multiple times already and they say theres nothign wrong with it. just curious
Not to sound like a dick but you're up a creek on this one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you talk to the dealership about the situation and explain to them that the sled has been in there for the same problem in the past, they may cover some of the charges. It is purely up to the dealership. They have no obligation to pay for transportation to and from the dealership.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya thats what i thought its not my sled i was just curious as to what would happen haha oh well wiat for them to fix the motor problem then they have a good sled. they got lucky that a couple guys came by with their turboed nytro and epx to save the day.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Lets take a look at this from the manufacturer's side, in this case-Polaris. Now what do you think they would do if the same situation happened with the test riders? Oh, excuse me, I forgot to advise all of you, that any new sleds purchased as a snow check and or off the dealer floor by any of you, you now become an statistic with the engineers. They are taking bets how long you run that new sled b4 it grenades a famous Polaris motor, most notably, the 800 mill. Oops, lets get back to the question above. I'm betting the entire Polaris engineering staff would be advising the Polaris CEO to get the chopper in there and get there POS out of there, and quickly. And I believe since any owner of a new Polaris is really an extension of Polaris's R&D department, should be re-imbursed for the expenses. That would make the damn engineering dept accountable, and get their heads out of their A$$'s, and build a dependable sled like yester years. Yep, if you're going to shell out $12K or better for less reliabilty, Polaris needs to stand behind their product then. Anyone smell Toyota here?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
polaris1man said:
Lets take a look at this from the manufacturer's side, in this case-Polaris. Now what do you think they would do if the same situation happened with the test riders? Oh, excuse me, I forgot to advise all of you, that any new sleds purchased as a snow check and or off the dealer floor by any of you, you now become an statistic with the engineers. They are taking bets how long you run that new sled b4 it grenades a famous Polaris motor, most notably, the 800 mill. Oops, lets get back to the question above. I'm betting the entire Polaris engineering staff would be advising the Polaris CEO to get the chopper in there and get there POS out of there, and quickly. And I believe since any owner of a new Polaris is really an extension of Polaris's R&D department, should be re-imbursed for the expenses. That would make the damn engineering dept accountable, and get their heads out of their A$$'s, and build a dependable sled like yester years. Yep, if you're going to shell out $12K or better for less reliabilty, Polaris needs to stand behind their product then. [highlight=yellow]Anyone smell Toyota here?[/highlight=yellow]
LOL! NO, not at all. My 800 never burned up. Pretty sure the R&D guys have come up with the best snowmobiles on the planet (121's) in the rush. I ride a 10' and will be buying an 11' with an 800 because frankly, they have wicked torque and they run how I like. The past 6 indy's I've owned (all purchased new) not one has ever broke down on me. My pro-x 800 got hot in the U.P. once but all I had to do was slide a clamp up the coolant hose and back on the trail I went. Some get a sour taste in their mouths when a few bad apples come through the line which is understandable, BUT, that is to be expected with anything.
You mentioned the toyota thing....Not good, I agree, but remember the late 90's chevy trucks that exploded when hit in the side? Again, bad apples in every bunch...machines and people.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
leadfoot33 said:
unfortunatly there was no i mean NO other way to get it out[/color=red]. went into a bowl and had to get some guys help to get the other sled outluckily they had a 150lb guy who road the other sled out. so helicopter was the only way. i was just curious as to see what people thought i think it would be nice of a dealer to help out anyways considering its been in the shop multiple times already and they say theres nothign wrong with it. just curious

Pack a trail, wait a few days and pull the sled out after the snow sets up. We have left sleds in tight spots for a week and come back when conditions were right. Somtimes time is the solution to the problem. It stinks when you come back and the glacier you left the sled on is covered in 3 feet of powder... The old GPS paid for itself that day, we marked it within 20 feet before we left it the day before. We lost a motor in a white out and abandoned the sled in favor of getting out before the dark hit and temps dropped.

The rider knew the sled had a problem?? You just sealed the discusion right there. If it had proven to be unrealiable then don't use it in a remote area.

I do like the trivia bit. How much was the helicopter?

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
Lets take a look at this from the manufacturer's side, in this case-Polaris. Now what do you think they would do if the same situation happened with the test riders? Oh, excuse me, I forgot to advise all of you, that any new sleds purchased as a snow check and or off the dealer floor by any of you, you now become an statistic with the engineers. They are taking bets how long you run that new sled b4 it grenades a famous Polaris motor, most notably, the 800 mill. Oops, lets get back to the question above. I'm betting the entire Polaris engineering staff would be advising the Polaris CEO to get the chopper in there and get there POS out of there, and quickly. And I believe since any owner of a new Polaris is really an extension of Polaris's R&D department, should be re-imbursed for the expenses. That would make the damn engineering dept accountable, and get their heads out of their A$$'s, and build a dependable sled like yester years. Yep, if you're going to shell out $12K or better for less reliabilty, Polaris needs to stand behind their product then. [highlight=yellow]Anyone smell Toyota here?[/highlight=yellow]
LOL! NO, not at all. My 800 never burned up. Pretty sure the R&D guys have come up with the best snowmobiles on the planet (121's) in the rush. I ride a 10' and will be buying an 11' with an 800 because frankly, they have wicked torque and they run how I like. The past 6 indy's I've owned (all purchased new) not one has ever broke down on me. My pro-x 800 got hot in the U.P. once but all I had to do was slide a clamp up the coolant hose and back on the trail I went. Some get a sour taste in their mouths when a few bad apples come through the line which is understandable, BUT, that is to be expected with anything.
You mentioned the toyota thing....Not good, I agree, but remember the late 90's chevy trucks that exploded when hit in the side? Again, bad apples in every bunch...machines and people.
Guess you're one of the lucky ones, anyways, let us know how many "recall" stickers and trips you make to the dealer on your new Rush.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well bpolaris bsaid there bwas no problem. they reflashed the computer and sent him on his way it seems that up here where i am the motors just barent lasting. i rode the sled it was nice to ride easy to handle. the motor just seemed liek it had a mid range fart. snow trax even talked about that on their show evaluating it. to tow it out was about $2000 we are lucky and know the owner of a helicopter company in town and cost around $1200. not cheap lol thats why i would like to see our dealer just help out in this case.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
polaris1man said:
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
Guess you're one of the lucky ones, anyways, let us know how many "recall" stickers and trips you make to the dealer on your new Rush.
I hope I don't become as cynical as you when I hit 50. [confused]

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
You don't have to wait, all ready there

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
polaris1man said:
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
You don't have to wait, [highlight=yellow]all ready[/highlight=yellow] there
already[thumb]

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
sledneck1978 said:
polaris1man said:
You don't have to wait, [highlight=yellow]all ready[/highlight=yellow] there
already[thumb]
Spelling Bee champ[thumb]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts