Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was riding my 1996 MXZ583 last sunday, doin about 40mph down a field, when the motor started to hesitate a bit and then died. i tried to pull it over, but she was seized. i let it sit for a while, and i could turn it over, but i had no compression. i towed it back home, pulled the plugs, and the pto side plugs had metal flakes on it. i pulled the head off yesterday and the piston is melted real bad on the exhaust side edge. at first i thought maybe it was a bad crank seal or frozen/plugged carb. but when i looked closer at the piston, i noticed there is no ring gap on the intake side. this is my first sled and im knda new but i know enought to know that it is essential for the ring gap to be on the intake side, at least for my rotary vavle motor (not sure of others). anyways, the head i trash cuz parts of the ring got compressed into the head when the ring grenaded in the cylinder. the sled was warmed properly, i had oil and coolant, and wasnt running WOT. the pistons are +0.50mm Wisecos. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thnx,
vince

[attachment=57969]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Looks like the mid-range was a little too lean.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts