Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 Indy Trail Deluxe with 900 miles. I just got this machine last year with less than 800 miles. It sat for years. All new fuel lines, filters, carb job and it runs great. Had it out last night. Used the mechanical reverse, and when I disengaged it, it tried to keep backing up. I rocked it forward and then it took off. I checked the chain case today and found a lot of metal shavings. I also found two half moon shaped pieces of metal. Is this normal? Or do I have a chain case repair in my future? Thanks

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I would pull the cover and check it out. Sounds like the cable needs adjustment but I would see why you have a broken washer...

·
Registered
134 Posts
sounds like you grinded some gears....you have ton be VERY gentle with those reverse...Just a trick like that...when you want to engage your reverse, dont let de seld decelerate until it stops on its own...press on the brakes to make it stop..then engage your reverse and go slowly (I've seen to may people give to much gas and destroying the chaincase)if its engage then dont make the track spin for nothing...when you want to go forward just do the same thing. stop the sled form going backward by braking (noot by letting it stop on its own) and then engage it forward and accelerate slowly (again i've seen alot of people engage it and when the pinned the throttle the felle on the hood because it was stille on reverse!!!soooo hilarious!!)...if I where you i'd open up the chaincase cover to see from exactly where the metal pieces came from
hope this helps

·
Registered
625 Posts
Originally posted by xcr440
[br]I would pull the cover and check it out. Sounds like the cable needs adjustment but I would see why you have a broken washer...
XCR has a point;why did you brake a washer? Better open it up.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Its normal to have SOME metal shavings on the dipstick but if you find big metal chunks thats not good.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
yes its normal to have a small glob of fine fillings on the end of the dipstick ( its magnetic ) this is just the nature of the beast. Pulling the cover off to do an inspection is easy, have a look and see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
XCR_800 has some very good advice there. Theses things aren't meant to take a beating. I had mine blow the chain case, most likely because the chain was old and had a few thousand miles on it. I only use reverse when I have to. Make sure your cable is adjusted properly or it will grind and jump out of gear. It's not a nice sound. The chain should be replaced eventually when you get up there in mileage with 900 miles it should be OK unless it was damaged by the unexplained parts/half moon things. Oh, put some blue loctite on the screws that hold the guide in place. I had them fall out one time and the guide got wedged under the chain and sprocket. Its well worth an inspection now, because parts are expensive if you end up taking out, gears, idler, chain, case and such. I wouldn't even ride it until you check it out. I have made that mistake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. I got it apart and completely cleaned out. Looked at a blow up skematic of the chaincase so I could account for the parts. Strange, Can't find anything missing & can't even find a ground off tooth on one of the gears. Its a mystery, but now its clean and re-lubed.

Thanks all

1 - 10 of 10 Posts