Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I changed the track on my 96 Ultra SKS from a 1" to a 2" paddle, I've noticed far more metal shavings on the magnet in the dip stick for the chain Case. I've got the chain tensioning bolt hand tight and backed off a 1/4 turn, and I'm absolutly positive that I put the chain case back together properly....exccept the chain.... I sort of lost track which side was facing towards the chain case cover.... but I'm pretty sure that I got it right.

I'm wondering if I can attribute the increase amount of metal shaivings to the larger paddle size. On the older track there would be next to no shavings after going on a ride...but now there's always a thin to medium black sludge around the magnet.

·
Registered
699 Posts
hmmmmm there could be a connection with the track by this i mean with the added traction of 1 inch there is now more torque on the the old chain and sprokets so maybe the chain is jumping teeth or something try to tighten the chain up or flip it around. i am puzzled there is probaly somebody here on tusf that had this happen maybe that one person will come and let yah know later man and good luck

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's skipping teeth on the sprocket and the sled is really running well.... I do hear an unusual sound occasionallt when braking on hardpack snow....kind of a clunking sound.... that could be the chain skiiping I guess..... I've tried both looser and tighter on the chain and really haven't noticed any change in the amount of metal sludge.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Pull the cover off and check for any unusual wear. It should be easy to spot. It could be something easy like one of the gears is not seated right.

If you can post a couple of pics of the gears, chain, cover, and inside the case we might be able to help more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts