Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys I've been really wondering about the db's in Michigan laws. I came across this and is this true with Granholm passing the db's to 88 max? If so will my sled pass? Its 86.3 at idle

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2008/04/michigans_quieter_snowmobiles.html

·
Registered
446 Posts
im not sure but i know they are dickheads about it there for sure i had a stock can on my 2002 polaris xcsp 500 and they almost gave me a ticket

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yep...the legacy of Grandholm, what a piece of work she is!!! The economy here in Michigan is terrible...this sort of stuf does nothing good to promote tourists...same with the helmet law for motorcycles..I'd personally still wear one I think, but people should be able to choose.

Burch

·
Registered
474 Posts
Michigan laws are BS. When I hear a snowmobile at night when I'm sleeping it definitely pisses me off. Usually it will wake me up and keep me from falling back asleep. The only reason is I am pissed because I cannot be out riding too!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
the article did not say how the db test is administerd, just gave the db level, usually the tester has to be a certain distance away from the machine with the machine running at idle or slightly above! and MOST aftermarket exhausts can pass a db test if the test is performed properly, but the law enforcers like to hold the db meter right at the exhaust outlet.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm just hoping if I get tested my sled will pass. I have custom made pipes with stingers for my chassis and I don't know if I can make it any quieter. I'm going to repack the stingers and see if the db's go down. I just don't understand those GD DMN Harleys are soooooo loud and sleds don't come anything close to them that people make it the biggest deal out there. I understand the noise at night, but if you ride without wide open on the trail and then just open it up on the lake then thats fine. Michigan has a lot of trails and I know for sure they make a lot of money up north off us guys that ride. I really would hate to have to get custom made pipes again and make them to stock db.

·
Registered
474 Posts
ArcticCatzr500 said:
I'm just hoping if I get tested my sled will pass. I have custom made pipes with stingers for my chassis and I don't know if I can make it any quieter. I'm going to repack the stingers and see if the db's go down. I just don't understand those GD DMN Harleys are soooooo loud and sleds don't come anything close to them that people make it the biggest deal out there. I understand the noise at night, but if you ride without wide open on the trail and then just open it up on the lake then thats fine. Michigan has a lot of trails and I know for sure they make a lot of money up north off us guys that ride. I really would hate to have to get custom made pipes again and make them to stock db.
+1

Harley's aren't only during the day though too! Around my house they are any time of day or night WOT. Its enough to wake you up easy. I've come to a conclusion that people don't like snowmobiles because they don't like winter. They don't like winter because they have nothing to do... because they don't have a sled. So their anger and frustration comes from a lack of motivation to get out and do something!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Easy on the HD's guys...just saying.

Apperently you speak of something you know little about...not to mention being a little hypocrtical. I ride a "GD DMN" Harley and I am considerate of my neighbors when I leave for work in the morning just the same as I am on the sled when I come late at night on it.

And trust me, if you knew anything about Harley's (other than they make noise), you would know us HD riders catch the same sort of sh!t for our loud exhausts as do snowmobilers. I'll go on a limb and say even more...think about this, you can not ride a sled through downtown Chicago (for example) and catch shit, but you can on a bike...plus in most cases the riding season is doubled, do the math. Pretty closed minded thinking guys....

Loud sleds are ok since you ride them....bikes are not??!!

Burch

One more thing I'll add my Dad always said.."Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

Burch

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think my point was taken wrong. I'm not saying that loud bikes are a bad thing. IMO you should be able to run it if you want. I have seriously considered getting a bike but I just can't afford it right now. Also, I just don't see the point in having a super loud ride... but I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to run it if you want to. Also, on trails and streets in a residential area late at night or early in the morning, you should be considerate of the people around you. Not accusing anyone on here of it but some guy in my neighborhood likes to once in a while.

Also, most guys I know that have HD's like to snowmobile too. So termed a little better: The people that don't like sleds/loud bikes are probably the same people and they are just jealous.

·
Registered
110 Posts
MaxTrax,

I should have also added that bikers and snowmobiles are minorities to say the least. As you said, we all need to stick toghter to support the sports which we enjoy!!

Ride safe!

Burch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts