Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ever since probably the beginning of fall, the boyfriend and I have been planning on going sledding somewhere. It started going up to Eveleth-Iron Range area up north of us, but since mother nature is being a bitch...we've decided to go to the U.P. the weekend 6th and 7th of January. I have never ridden there, so I don't know what I'm in for. But hopefully the weather holds up, and we'll get plenty of riding in.[:D] Hope you guys have better luck in the riding department...was out yesterday in like a dusting of snow riding on the lakes. [xx(]

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Depending on where you are going, there isn't too much snow there either! Long trip for 6-8 inches at best! So hopefully like most other midwest states will pick up some more snow before the 6th and 7th!

·
Registered
831 Posts
We still have "Full" open water on our lakes, so that is not even an option.

I think that this season has "Tanked" for most.

I predict that when we do get a few inches, folks are going to go out and do stupid things. Get hurt and or tear up their machines. I certainly hope not, but it happens every year.

Please be safe and think of the consequences and not the short lived rip!

Bulldog

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Go to the Houghton-Hancock area ,great place ,stay at the Ramada in a great place ,take a ride up to copper harbour

·
Registered
352 Posts
i hope theres snow that weekend b/c im going that weekend to

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by woodeye
[br]Should get some snow in the UP this week!! At least I hope so!!!
well keep us posted. I am also considering a trip to the U.P. seeing as my trip to bolder junction was cancelled [V]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Still no snow in the Ishpeming, Negaunee, Marquette area. Pretty sure there isn't any out east Munising way either. Some friends and I are supposed to head up to Calumet on Thursday. Is there any snow there?? If we hear there is no snow we heard that the trails are open from Bruce Crossing to Ironwood. Anyone know it that is true?? I would love to know.

Hopefully we get a lot of snow before your trip up here. If we do there are a lot of places to ride. Living in Ishpeming, this is the area I usually ride. I like the Ishpeming, Big Bay, Marquette and back to Ishpeming ride. Up to Michigamme is nice. I haven't been too many places because I just bought my sled last March. Most of my riding prior to that was on borrowed equipment. I am really looking forward to Thursday hopefully we get a good day of riding in.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
lETS HOPE U GET SOME SNOW BECAUSE AS SOON AS YOU DO IM ON MY WAY UP!!! SEE YOU SOON!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Michigan doesn't even have groomed trails yet. Was up there today to pick up a load of pulp. Most areas have 6-8 inches 10 and the most and they haven't even started to pan yet. Some areas have opened there trails, I no Watersmeet has! Dont think anything will hold up to heavy traffic with low snow..

Good luck to anyone trying to find snow.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Its not a good time to ride yet, the trail have no "base" I HOPE TO GOD IT SNOWS SOON !!!

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Hopefully they get some good snow!

If you get a chance take the trail to lake of the clouds, it is very kickass, and has fun spots off to the sides some:

Like the others said though, pray for snow! I know I am!

·
Registered
667 Posts
that picture sends shivers down my spine. I've never seen anything like that before. All that snow...I wish it would snow here...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Keep us updated guys, you are about the only people up there we can trust. Have my trip planned for the 12th of Jan.

·
Registered
137 Posts
yeah, the UP has nothing to ride yet... check out johndee.com, he has good cams there, all you really see is 6" or less... and a lot of grass. I had to push off my UP trip because of it. We are heading up Feb. 3rd - 9th, we will be in the Houghton/Hancock area for three days, then heading to Iron Mountain for three days. If anyone wants to meet up and ride, PM me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We canceled our Jan 11-16 trip. 10 day outlook shows around freezing mark, but only snow rain mixes for that time. My source is telling me the ground is yet to freeze, and the trails are rough from just the little bit of sleds that have been out. Needs to snap cold, and lay down some serious snow!!! Been rough on the entire snowmobile industry. Maybe late Jan. early Feb.....

·
Registered
120 Posts
The three guys I know who didn't get their car stolen and went on the snowmobile trip thursday said the trails were good. They went from Bruce Crossing to Wakefield to Ironwood. They said the trails were a little rough closer to Ironwood, but they put on about 130 miles said they had a good time.

P.S. Snowing in Ishpeming right now[:)][:)]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts