Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to get ahold of a trail map's for the U.P. and where are good places to ride.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Well, here's a good place to start.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Michigan+snowmobile+trail+maps

The only thing I have on paper is 1-888-78-GREAT or www.michigan.org

As far as good places to ride: just about anywhere. The lower part of Delta county kinda sucks, in my opinion. They seem to get less snow than the rest of the UP.
The Keweenaw peninsula is famous for snowfall. A lot of their trail system is made up of old railway lines. The downside to the Key is that because of its snowfall amounts and trail system, its heavily traveled.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx alot man, after about 4 years of constant naggin, i somewhat have my dad talked into making a trip up to the UP, the only catch is that i have to price everything, decide where to ride, when to ride, and where to stay. Right now im thinging about either Ishpeming or houghton, i want to stay away from houghton but from what Ive heard, the traffic is worth it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You could also contact the chamber of commerce of towns like Munising, Marquette,Houghton or L'Anse/Baraga areas, they can hook you up with amps, palces to stay/eat and if any other things are going on in the areas. Good luck and have fun!!!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I agree w/ Indy 400 88 about lower Delta County. Its often referred to as "the Bananna Belt" and for good reason!!

You might want to check out the thread regarding the SF UP Ride
and contact some of those members for detailed information.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Check out the Michigan DNR website.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dunno if your intentionally wanted ones for online to preplan trips, but otherwise there at every single gas station around here.

Good places to ride is houghton up to copper harbor. Its an hour and half drive but can't remember how long by trail. Been a LONG time since I did that trip. LOTS of bars, restaraunts, and hotels geared to having snowmobilers. Big racks for jackets and shelfs above for helmets and gloves. Seems there always interested in friendly chat about where your going and where ya from type of thing. Excellent place to ride.

Last I heard there was about 250 miles worth of groomed trail to ride up here. Can come up to this area for 2 days of riding and not hit a trail more than twice. This area beeing houghton/hancock, calumet, copper harbor,and baraga/lanse.

Now if chassell trail was open again, could go through here or stop here and go cuz easy place to leave but trail going north is closed. Stupid old locals got pissy about snowmobiles on there property so dnr had to close it. Offered to by quarter acre to run the trail through but nope. Sucks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx alot for the info, i really appreciate it, another questiong i have is, is there a sound db limit in MI

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not that I know of. No trails close at a certain time or speed limits that I know of off hand either. Besides, for how many cars are cruising around here with no mufflers and mudder trucks that are all loud, they shouldnt even thinkg about limiting sled db.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah but, here in Wisconsin, our fine governor decided to put a 82 DB limit on sleds, and a 120 or so DB limit on cars, trucks, and motorcyles. Which is total bull. O and we have 55 mph speed limit at night which a the senator from my area is trying to get a 24 hour 55 mph speed limit put on all trails. Which if that happens, i think the wisconsin snowmobile econemy will plumit.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
^^^^To prove what?^^^^

It's idiotic attitudes like yours that get public trails closed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Here is an excellent web site with links on the right side to certain UP areas. Click those links and then once each of their pages open, you can request a trail map by email. I got a whole bunch within a few days.

http://www.snowtracks.com/michigan/

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
um, absolutly nothing, its something i typed that was sopose to be geared towards sarcasm because it rebels against both laws, i wouldnt actually do it cause i actually do want to keep my trails open when the can, If worse came to worse i would bring my sled back to stock, but i think its bull that an effing harley can have 120 db pipes on public roads year round, but we cant have 82 db pipes for 3 months out of the year on trails that for the most part are in the middle of fricking no where. ill edit it cause i dont want anyone to actually think im a stupid, immature, punk kid that doesnt think before he acts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I see you are only 17, and it sounds like it. Everyone should check the number of deaths that occur in the four months of sledding season. I personally don't want to come across another rider that is doing 120mph because they may not be the one who dies. Keep your head on and ride within the conditions, situation, skills and means that are called for.
As far as the UP, Bergland, Watersmeet, Gogebic to Silver City is an awesome ride. Check www.snowtracks.com go to Michigan click on the areas you want to go and order a map. Please ride safe, you never know who might be around the next corner.
Originally posted by SKYDE
[br]Yeah but, here in Wisconsin, our fine governor decided to put a 82 DB limit on sleds, and a 120 or so DB limit on cars, trucks, and motorcyles. Which is total bull. O and we have 55 mph speed limit at night which a the senator from my area is trying to get a 24 hour 55 mph speed limit put on all trails. Which if that happens, im taking the can off my sled, and speeding past the first warden i c at about 120 mph.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info baggmann, i just downloaded a couple maps from that link, thank you. And ive only had my speedo baried once, and that was on a 50 foot wide drag strip plowed on one of my local lakes. Im crazy, not stupid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts