Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I would like to go ride in Michigan sometime over my winter break. We wanted to go somewhere in the UP but we don't really know where to go. We ride a lot on Tug Hill but want to go somewhere different. I wanted to hear from some people that have been there and their recommendations on areas to go, hotels and any other information.
Thanks in advance.[thumb]

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you want smooth fast trails start riding from St. Ignace to trout lake and beyond. They are wide and very strait. Here are some pics. I have only ridden in St. Ignace and the lower. According to everyone the whole Upper Peninsula is great riding.

2010118192635525_28121.jpg

2010118192629525_28121.jpg

2010118192649213_28121.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I like the Lake Gogebic area. Just south of Lake Superior and Silver Bay (might be Silver City, I don't remember). Bergland is a nearby town. Lots of places to stay around the 12 mile long lake. And you can ride from there to many other destinations, like Silver Bay, Escanauba, Porcupine Mountains. Very busy on weekends, but if you ride Tug Hill your probably used to that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My buddy lives up in crystal falls. I've ridden around that area the past two years, its pretty nice. And also up in Munising. I really like the munising area, smooth, well taken care of trails. Also lots of places to break trail if you feel like it. Munising is a pretty popular area to ride. They get lots of lake affect snow.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I live in the u.p. in White Pine like zcat600 the lake Gogebic area is great lots of different kinda riding we got the lake which is the largest inland body of water in the u.p. so you can do some lake racing. We got great trails some nice wide open spots on them to to open it up you can go just about anywhere from here also take a ride in the porkies to lake of the Clouds. And I would suggest you stay in White Pine we got the Konteka lodge it's a great place they have everything you would need Good food and a seafood buffet second friday of every month thats great crablegs, froglegs smelt everthing they have a nice bar and even have bowling for something else to do. It's right on trail 1 I know I might sound like a commercial but this is a great place to go sledding. If you get up here P.M. me I can take you to some great off trail boondockin.Hope to see ya are local economy could use the income.........

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Repping the lower peninsula!!! and im from NY as well, lake george.

But i ride around my house in Traverse city. Lotta freeriding with trails as well. TC to Kalkaska to grayling to cadillac... all good riding.

·
Registered
23 Posts
kennybtrail1 said:
I live in the u.p. in White Pine like zcat600 the lake Gogebic area is great lots of different kinda riding we got the lake which is the largest inland body of water in the u.p. so you can do some lake racing. We got great trails some nice wide open spots on them to to open it up you can go just about anywhere from here also take a ride in the porkies to lake of the Clouds. And I would suggest you stay in White Pine we got the Konteka lodge it's a great place they have everything you would need Good food and a seafood buffet second friday of every month thats great crablegs, froglegs smelt everthing they have a nice bar and even have bowling for something else to do. It's right on trail 1 I know I might sound like a commercial but this is a great place to go sledding. If you get up here P.M. me I can take you to some great off trail boondockin.Hope to see ya are local economy could use the income.........
Kenny is right that is an awesome spot I have been going up there every year for the last 10 and it is amazing. I usually stay at the AmericInn in silver city, but last year we stayed in White Pine and will continue in the future.

Also, Kenny how about some boondockin guide work this year.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know you said the U.P is where you would like to ride, but I have to recommend Cadillac in the lower half. I drive up there and stay at a little lodge called pilgrims village 2 or 3 times a month in the winter. I love it up there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have to agree with Skilie on this. Last year everybody was bitchen about bad trails in the L.P. Traverse area had great riding all winter long. Get ahold of me if you come to town, always up for a beer or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Paradise area is nice, try to stay away from the sault though, trails get beaten on pretty hard but once you get outside the city they smooth out.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You can't go wrong, as we have some of the best trails around. No matter what, I would stick to the Western and Northern coast of Lake Michigan, b/c that is where the majority of the Lake Effect snow is especially in the lower. If you are going to the u.p., all of the places listed are great spots to stay. If I'm staying in the lower lakes, I love the Bellaire/Traverse/Caddilac area...

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I have been to Grand Marais in the U.P. a few times now and really like the riding there. It's about an hour and a half ride from the Mackinac Bridge.

http://www.fishweb.com/maps/schoolcraft/trails/seney/index.html

Guess it's more like a 2 hr. drive from the bridge. This is the same route we take;
http://maps.yahoo.com/beta/main.php?#mvt=m&lat=46.22925&lon=-85.372385&zoom=9&q1=mackinac%20bridge%2C%20MI.&q2=Grand%20Marais%2C%20MI.

http://www.sno-trails.net/Main.htm

·
Registered
394 Posts
Paradise to Grand marais is a great ride, i do that at least twice a year, if your up for a long drive then some of the best riding is up in the houghton/hancock area, thats beautiful up there

·
Registered
25 Posts
wonder if we can get a group ride going for houghton to ???? It would be cool to do a two or three day trips some where. What do you all think? Sorry about jacking your thread. Just think it would be fun.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Polaris800RMK said:
kennybtrail1 said:
Kenny is right that is an awesome spot I have been going up there every year for the last 10 and it is amazing. I usually stay at the AmericInn in silver city, but last year we stayed in White Pine and will continue in the future.

Also, Kenny how about some boondockin guide work this year.
I would love to man just P.M. me...I have some great spots on the Big Iron river there is great sledding all around here justlet me know.........

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
kennybtrail1 said:
Nothing wrong with representing the area you like to ride. I would really like to hear more about it, including a map if you can find one to post. How far from Mackinac, any photos would be great also, etc...

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow I didnt expect so many replies [:D] Thanks Guys!!! [thumb]

I will have to talk to my dad about it. Now the next problem, we have to try to get away from work for a few days. [:)]

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I ride in Grand Marais every year, its a great place to ride with trails that can take you anywhere you want to go. Check out Tahquamenon Falls if you are anywhere near them, and grab a bite to eat at camp 33.

Depending on how long of a car ride you want, I'd also highly recommend the Keewenaw Peninsula at the west end of the U.P. The porcupine mtns are a great place to ride and nothing beats the view from Lake of the clouds. Also check out copper harbor if you ride keewenaw, I've got some of the best scenic photos I've ever taken from the Keewenaw peninsula. Absolutely gorgeous place to ride!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts