Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
II was just wondering how reliable mid 90's xlt's are. Do these sleds have any common problems that we should know about? how reliable are they? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Well I have a 97 XLT SP and have had no major problems with it. Only had a leaking needle n seat on one of my carbs that made it hard to start when it was cold. Other than that the sled has run great for me. Of course I can only vouch for my own sled, but I'm sure some of the other knowledgable Polaris owerns out there can give you some more insight.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum.

Second if you are looking for answers for an xlt this is the place many owners of them here. I don't own an xlt but the only problem i have heard is that starting them can be a chore... Have fun and keep posting...

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
My old XLT has worked great throughout the years. It is a combination of a 1993 to a 1998 model, different parts. THe engine is a 1996. Other than a blown head gasket, which isn't hard to replace, I haven't had much trouble. It blew up a couple of years ago but there was something wrong in the carbs, clogged or something. It is a great machine....but, now I have moved on to an XC 700, still got the XLT, but it is more of my dads machine now.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
if the sled looks like it has been taking care of and the miles arnt past 10,000 i wouldnt give it second thought. i knew of several stock machines that had 10k on them and didnt have a problem. i had pipes on mine from day one and the dealeer i bought it from had sabbatogged it the grommets were cut sealing the carbs to the air box and holes were drill in the carbs. i didnt find it untill after 2500 miles but it never let me down. got about 8-10 mpg and always started on the second pull.

nothing goes like three holes!!!!!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well in 1994 they did something to the eninge, liek make the pto bearing oiling hole to small, and when u would run the engine over 9000 rpm for a long time, it will throw that bearing. Thats how i bought mine. I rebuilt it with a new crank. It would run over 9 stock, but when i put pipes on it i could never get over 8500 so i shoundt have to worry about that bearing goin again,. oTer wise my sled has been graet, ive got over 3000 on it and runs like a charm, it will push 117 and its freakin fast. thats my knowledge for ya

Ride it like you stole it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a hybrid XLT, lots of modifications to engine and sled, but probably one of the more important things I could suggest is to weld the crank- it is pressed together, and under normal conditions is OK, but they should be welded in my opinion if you do anything other than just trail ride. Mine has pipes, heads and pistons and it really goes well, but triples make all their power at a fairly close rpm range, mine is about 8000 to 9000 rpm, but it doesn't run out of power climbing a hill if you keep it there. Not as much low-end torque as a 700 twin, either. Good luck!

"When you come to the fork in the road, TAKE IT!"

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Well i may as well throw in my two cents worth here even though i dont own a true xlt. But mine is a 2000 anyways so its quite a bit newer than a mid 90's sled. But so far in the 700 miles i have acutally gotten to ride it the sled has performed flawlessly after the carbs were re-jetted. Starts within 3 pulls EVERY-TIME or one pull when warm. (well i think it took me 4 pulls the day it was -20 F. out....but you can see the reason for that.) But i would say jump on it and go....xlt's seem to be a thing of the past as the torquey twins are taking over the market. I had to get mine before they quit making them.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I owned a 93 XLT special. I had it piped, clutched, geared and picked. I drove it over 2500 miles with the pipes and never had a problem. It would spin at 9100 rpm's and pull the skiis off the snow at 50 mph when you nailed it. The one weakness is the PTO bearing on the engines before they added an external oil line directly to this bearing. If the engine is stock, dont worry about it, but if it has pipes, look out. Also, around 96 or 97 there were rumored a bad batch of cranks. I know of several that have gone bad and believe it or not, Polaris either paid to repair the engine 100% or paid for a partial repair. Whether you were the original owner or not. All in all they are a great all around sled. Nothing like that distinct sound they make. Last but not least, there is a guy from Old Forge NY that has a 95 XLT with over 15000 miles on it!! Unreal. Take care.

'HAMMER DOWN !!'

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
well, time for my comments, i bought my 93 xlt sp last year, even though we didnt get much snowfall, my sled has started everytime, second pull half choked. as far as performance, i found it great in my mind. i am very pleased so far, i bought it with 3200 miles on it, was rebuilt before i bought it with the 3200 miles being since rebuild. the only problems i have found is i need to replace needles and seats in the carbs, and whoever rebuilt the suspension(front and rear) should be fired. i found loose bolts on both the front shocks, and first ride my track kept comming loose. and one of the cross shafts in the rear susp. had a bolt cross threaded, and the other broke after my stunt with a dredge ditch.... so know i have a 93 sled with a 96 xcr xtra 10 skid in her, and damn what a difference. overall i am still pleased, and lookin forward to this season.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I also have a 97xlt got it at the end of last yr towards spring but got to ride it like 3 times and and i am happy so far but its a little hard starting but i will get the carbs cleaned before the snow flys and it should be good i am used to riding yamaha and i like the polaris feal better and also it really hooks up in the fields pretty good in the bumps good luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have a 94 xlt rmk and the thing is awsome i have never had a problem with it, just make sure when u r transporting it 2 turn off the fuel and when starting it dont mash on tha gas, mine was a little hard 2 start at first but now when i pull it outa the trailer i just spray a shot of starter fluid in the air box and it starts right up.but the thing runs awsome gets good fuel mileage and has plenty of poweri dont kno tho mines a rmk with a 136" by 1.25" track but on the rmks they gear em a little diff so my top speed was only 85, but it has awsome acc and take off

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
K guys, thanks for all the help. I have been posting these questions for my friend who is thinking about getting in the sport. I'm into yamaha's and don't really know a lot about Polaris sleds. Now he is interested in buying a 95xcr600. I am curious how dependable these sleds are. I know l was looking into one a couple of years ago after my sled got stolen and I called the local polaris dealer to get an opinion on the sled and the mechanic told me he was suprised the sled still worked. the sled had about 4500 miles on it. He said the sleds don't have very good cranks in them. Any of your input would be appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts