Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran my sled for a while untll i noticed the midle cylender dosent fire. I thought maybe it could be the a bad plug wire so i switched all the plug wire around and still no fire but every other cylender fired. Then i thought maybe fuel problem i re did the carbs fully had then all set back to factory specs with a mercry stacks, and still no fire..Then i thought maybe its suckingh air some where so i took off the middle jug and got a new gasket and put permatex on it and slaped it on and put it back togather and still no fire. I had a guy come look at it he thought maybe a crank seal cuz when the air boxes are off and you cup the carb intake it has noo sucktion at all. But what he says thats not right is that if it was a crank seal i still should have sucktion on that middle cylender.. I have no idea what it could be anymore i need some help!

·
Registered
192 Posts
have you done a compression test? i assume you looked for damage etc when you had the cylinder off?, but it couldnt hurt to do a quick compression check.
if compression is good, try switching that middle carb with one of the other carbs and see what happens?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
I know what it needs... The same guy that bailed you out on the carbs, needs to come over and bail you out again.

No, a crank seal would not do that.

If you have compression, there's no way you can have no suction at the carb unless you have a bad reed, or a boot leak.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did do a test, its 130 psi

tshack420 said:
have you done a compression test? i assume you looked for damage etc when you had the cylinder off?, but it couldnt hurt to do a quick compression check.
if compression is good, try switching that middle carb with one of the other carbs and see what happens?

ill check the boots but they looked fine no cracks and no weathering.. maybe a reed i have no idea what that is tho

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
I know what it needs... The same guy that bailed you out on the carbs, needs to come over and bail you out again.

No, a crank seal would not do that.

If you have compression, there's no way you can have no suction at the carb unless you have a bad reed, or a boot leak.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Musky30 said:
I ran my sled for a while untll i noticed the midle cylender dosent fire. I thought maybe it could be the a bad plug wire [highlight=red]so i switched all the plug wire around and still no fire[/highlight=red] but every other cylender fired. Then i thought maybe fuel problem i re did the carbs fully had then all set back to factory specs with a mercry stacks, and still no fire..Then i thought maybe its suckingh air some where so i took off the middle jug and got a new gasket and put permatex on it and slaped it on and put it back togather and still no fire. I had a guy come look at it he thought maybe a crank seal cuz when the air boxes are off and you cup the carb intake it has noo sucktion at all. But what he says thats not right is that if it was a crank seal i still should have sucktion on that middle cylender.. I have no idea what it could be anymore i need some help!
that is an awesome way to mess stuff up even more. the timing will be off, and it could bend a crank

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How? by takeing the pto side plug wire and put it on the middle one?

Dragon700 said:
Musky30 said:
I ran my sled for a while untll i noticed the midle cylender dosent fire. I thought maybe it could be the a bad plug wire [highlight=red]so i switched all the plug wire around and still no fire[/highlight=red] but every other cylender fired. Then i thought maybe fuel problem i re did the carbs fully had then all set back to factory specs with a mercry stacks, and still no fire..Then i thought maybe its suckingh air some where so i took off the middle jug and got a new gasket and put permatex on it and slaped it on and put it back togather and still no fire. I had a guy come look at it he thought maybe a crank seal cuz when the air boxes are off and you cup the carb intake it has noo sucktion at all. But what he says thats not right is that if it was a crank seal i still should have sucktion on that middle cylender.. I have no idea what it could be anymore i need some help!
that is an awesome way to mess stuff up even more. the timing will be off, and it could bend a crank

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Dragon700 said:
Musky30 said:
He's got an older storm, all the plugs fire at once.. Speak of what you know. [thumb]

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what i thought also dave! thanks for the back up

Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Dragon700 said:
Musky30 said:
He's got an older storm, all the plugs fire at once.. Speak of what you know. [thumb]

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
you serious? well i learned something today, thanks for info sorry for mis-info. i guess im used to twins

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
It's a case-reed not piston-port.. A broken skirt will make no difference.

If he's checking for suction on a carb, it's no good because the Storms came with a boost bottle from the factory.. You can cover any of the carbs, and even if there's no issue, you'll still have weak suction..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well this is what i did. I took the middle carb off and put it on the pto side and the pto side carb on the middle on and then started it up and still no fire in the middle cyclender. So i took the carbs off put then back where they are supposed to go and started it up again and it didnt fire in the middle cylender but then when i was on the gas alittle bit i noticed there was smoke coming out of the exgust port. So i lifted the back of the sled up and started it i let it warm up and started giveing it gas and then the the middle cylender started to fire. So i shut it off let it get cold and then started it again and still the middle cylender did not fire

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
So you give it throttle and it starts to fire...

sounds like your middle cylinder is flooding.

·
Registered
207 Posts
If the middle cylinder is flooding i would try replacing the needle and seat in that carb, i had the same issue a while back and it worked out just great. also if it is flooding out i belive thoose motors have the drain plugs on the bottem end of the exhaust side. try taking out the middle one and seeing if any fuel comes pouring out. Just a thought but i could be way off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well i dont think it could be a sticking needle and seat cause i switched carbs to differnt cylenders and every cylender fired except the middle one..

Bobinwi said:
are you running it with the air box on or off?
right now iam working it and running it with it off

1 - 19 of 19 Posts