Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i brought my sled to the shop, ran fine but i brought it in to check where the oil was leaking from, and get a tune up and to check the clutch because the track was turning when idlling. they started to work on it yesterday afternoon, they called my house today but my brother was home, he told my dad to call them. i just got off the phone with my dad he said its gonna cost around 730$ to fix.needs a think some lutch kit or something, new sliders ,some hose,carb boots,others that i dont remember, he said 350$ labour and like 350$ for parts, my dad told him to do the clutch thing and the oil thing for now and try to buy new parts and put it on ourself. since i only ref hockey which isnt that much a week, and noone wants to hire me for a real job, i might have its really hard for me to say but to consider selling the sled, because i still owe my dad a little when i bought the sled, this is gonna put me really in the whole, so the sled might become for sale. what should i do? [V][V][V][V]

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts
$350 labor. That's the reason my sled has never seen a dealer (my ZR anyway). I do all the work on my sled. If I don't know how, I learn. If it comes down to it, I'll take it to a local mechanic that gives me a good deal.

Dealers suck...for repairs anyway...

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
wow man, if you they haven't done anything to it yet i'd tell them don't do any of it!! you can do stuff yourself with some help and save tons of $$$

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THE THING IS I DONT REALLY KNOW ANYONE THAT COULD DO IT,[V][V]

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Dont sell it!!!! Do it yourself!!! You canfind odd jobs for cash and the cash is replacable!!! If you sell when is the next time youll have enough cash to buy a new sled??? Probably a long long time!!!! Dont sell it!!!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Originally posted by ski-dooguy
[br]THE THING IS I DONT REALLY KNOW ANYONE THAT COULD DO IT,[V][V]
i'm saying do it yourself. no better time to learn how than now. you'll need some basic tools, but none of that work other than the clutch stuff is complicated at all. and even the clutch stuff can be done by the average guy with some guidance and patience. there are plenty of people to help and information that you can get to help you through it all.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by indy500efi
[br]what kind of sled do you have?
1998 arctic cat zl500

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by adam411
[br]ouch, id keep it, but if you wanted to upgrade now would be the time
i dont have enough money to upgrade

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can do it yourself no prob. Take your time, invest in a repair manual and ask alot of questions here. As far as the parts go, you can probably knock off an easy hundred bucks by going other routes (Dennis Kirk, or whoever). Don't pull the trigger and sell your ride because it seems overwhelming to you.
Trust me, the regrets of doing such a thing will hit you harder than the cost of a few parts.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
ill buy it off you for $72.50 plus tax.... just kidding man do the repairs yourself and we will guide you thru it step by step if you need it

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks,i might do that, but my dad told the mechanic to do the leak thing and i think the clutch part without asking me but im glad cuz thats diffenetly something i dont want to foul around with

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
none of it is as tough as you might think. just gotta take your time and ask a lot of questions. i'm going my buddies primary and secondary clutch tonight. anything you can get out of paying the dealer for will save you money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There is no better way than to take stuff apart and watch how things work, be organized and take pics if needed. The clutch is just two spings inside sleeves and some weights with a helix that has a slight ramp that controls the shift rpm. The weights control the top rpm limit and allow faster acceleration with a hevier weight. When you accelerate the weights pull to the outside and squeez the belt to engage. The spings control take off rpms.Just watch what u are doing and pay attention to how things function. Ask question on this forum if u get stuck.
[attachment=53089]

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts