Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering what everyone else thinks out there..?

how many miles is a lot of miles on a sled? ive got a 02 edge x 800 its got 4500...
i ive heard people say they quit at 5000 but ive seen them out there with over 10000,,,,

what do you think ?

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Really depends on how you take care of the sled, put new rings and pistons in my sled at 5000 miles for preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
It's all relative.

·
Registered
610 Posts
5000 is high. At that point it's time for a rebuild. 4500 means its going to need to be rebuilt soon. Top end kit is $200 - $300. waiting until the engine blows means new cyclinder and possible more... so more like $1000+. People don't want to get involved with sleds with this kind of mileage.

So to answer your questions, 5000 is high milage in my opinion. Although they can go for 10,000 and up, I wouldn't get involved in the sled.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
srx_600 said:
Really depends on how you take care of the sled, put new rings and pistons in my sled at 5000 miles for preventative maintenance.
On an 02-800, I'd also do the PTO bearing at that point..

·
Registered
741 Posts
I look at how it was maintained more then i do how many miles it has. My 98 xc 600 w/ just under 6 k has 120psi on both cylinders and im not worried.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I could care less what the miles are. All of my sleds have over 7000 miles but are maintained to a letter. You can have a low mile sled thats been pounded and a high mile one thats been maintained.
Miles mean nothing as long as it is maintained.

There is no magic number on when to rebild or not. Psi is more of an indicator.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
5000? You guys are nuts. 5000 ain't crap for a well cared for sled. 10k is when you should probably do a hone job and pistons and rings, and go through all the drivetrain.

Now if you ride it, park it under the pine tree out back, and leave it to rust all summer, never summerize it, and generally don't take care of it, 2000 miles are alot of miles, and the thing probably has a rusted crank by then.

Its like asking if a Honda Accord is worn out at 100,000 miles. Hell no.

Edit: that being said, resale generally takes a hit when you get beyond 5000 miles.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I'm at 12,500. Got the sled around 6000 miles I think. I've never done a rebuild. Good psi still so why rebuild.

·
Registered
916 Posts
ripperd, I totally agree with you as well as muscleD. Rebuilding an engine just because of milage is not smart. You can tear down a perfectly good engine and 'freshen' it up with pistons/rings and it could blow up on the next ride out. A new motor means nothing, just look at new sleds out of the box, even they blow up within 100 miles, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I have 12,200 on my XCR 800 Mom has 15,400 on her 600 Classic and my dad's old Ultra had 22,000 on it when he sold it, ALL of them have been better and more reliable then low milage sleds we've rode with. And ALL have towed home low milage NEW sleds. Case closed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i checked the compression amd its 165 per...

---does anyone know how i could possibly tell if it has been rebiult without cracking the motor apart?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
my edge has 4600 on it an it still runs circles around my brothernlaws 08 dragon 700

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
prox800up said:

---does anyone know how i could possibly tell if it has been rebiult without cracking the motor apart?
165? really? NEVER heard of a trail sled with that kind of compression?[B)]

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
jesse500 said:
prox800up said:

Yeah, 165 is high, most i've ever heard without boost is about 150 but thats for any sled.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
jesse500 said:
prox800up said:

Yeah, 165 is high, most i've ever heard without boost is about 150 but thats for any sled.
His compression gauge could be out or cheap. I have used three different gauges at my buddies shop and got 3 different readings. As long as your within 5 psi per cylinder I would say your good. My T-cat had the highest at 145 and the XCR before I rebuilt it had 140 per cylinder. I have never seen 165 either but he could be using a cheap gauge.

If a sled is well maintained you could get a lot of miles out of it!

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
snap on gauge about 2 years old very far from crappy gauge its probably one of the most accurate you can buy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and i looked down in the valve ports and saw what look like wesico pistons..they have the numbers stamped in the top...and ridges on the sides... i think this motors pretty fresh.. i hope who ever rebiult it did a wide bearing on the crank,,,

i geuss i got nothin to worry about

1 - 20 of 26 Posts