Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a snowmachine, but am seriously considering picking up a used one. Im looking at one with just over 4,000 miles on it. It is a Polaris xc 700 45th anniversary edition, and it is in mint condition. I was wondering if those miles matter much on a well maintained sled such as this one? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
13,095 Posts
I would carefully look over all the clutches and stuff, but since you are a newbie, I would take it to a mechanic who knows snowmobiles to look it over. Clutch, suspension, chain, brakes, steering.. stuff like this all should be fine, but if the machine was abused, that is how you would find out.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yes, do what P-Man says. You will really like the XC700. They are a nice solid, reliable machine.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
93 Posts
By mint condition I am assuming you mean the appearance of the sled. As you are using the word "snowmachine" I am assuming you are in an area where snowmobiles do not see the abuse they get down here in the midwest. Some main points to consider are:

1) Steering. How much play is in the steering? There shouldn't be much at all (if any). This can be fixed, but it is something to take into account.

2) Engine. Engines can run a long time, but 4000 can actually be a lot for a two stroke engine. Find out what the compression should be for that machine and have it checked.

3) Clutches. Ask if the clutches have been serviced. If they have not, plan on taking it to a reputable person and have the clutch gone over and worn parts replaced if necessary. This does not have to be done immediately if it is working well for you, but its not a bad idea or you can have it looked at before next season.

4) Suspension. Does the person your buying from check the suspension out regularly? There is the potential for broken parts and worn out shocks.

5) Track. Eyeball the track. Any broken paddles or torn out studs or wear. A little bit is OK, but a lot can indicate the need for a new track. Look underneath and see if you can see any bent or broken parts.

I'm sure there is more, but these are a few things I would check.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lets not forget the running boards. They are a dead give away as to how hard the machine has been ridden. If the running boards have a bend in them chances are the machines was jumped alot. This is not a bad thing but you need to look at the skid frame for bent, broken, or cracked parts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does the 45th aniv. have the adjustable shock at your finger tip. If it is, I'd make sure it is working? Probably pricey to fix.

·
Registered
322 Posts
HEHE...our 600 and 800 Adrenalines running boards got some bends...and the oldest is a 2000. Ride em hard, that's what they're built for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts