Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well well well anyone have any snow in mn yet ? looks like this yr will be twice as bad as last yr here in mn whats up with this elnineo how long does this last cause if its gonna be stickin around im just gonna sell all my sleds

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Well, in NW MN we have some snow. I put on about 70 miles or so yesterday on my sled. We really do need more but this is enough to get around a little.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
We're getting freezing rain today here in Maine. I just hope it doesn't change over to all rain.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I feel really bad for you fellas in Minnesota. I spent my first 18 years living there (Minneapolis) and I remember when it used to really snow back then. My folks still live there and they say the same thing -- "What happened to all the snow?" I've been told it's global warming and it's only going to get worse.

I'm really fortunate to be living out west now -- mountains in Lake Tahoe -- and I can say that in this month of December we've already had well over ten feet of snow. Plus it's not some damn 15º below zero either! (The average day time temperature in Tahoe during the winter is between 32º-40º. At night it gets down into the teens only occasionally.)

Chances are that even with global warming, the weather at Lake Tahoe will always produce good snowfall simply because of the elevation of the area (6500'-10000').

So if you're really dying to do some riding, I guess you need to move like me. [:D]

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
well i was lookn at weather.com and the 10 day outlook is pretty sweet. IF if if it stays how it looks were guna get a lot of snow the beginning of next week, but they change the outlook like 2 times a day so it will probably change before then. but its still nice to think about.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i see north east mn has like 7 or 8 inches on the ground is this right cause if it is im headin that way this weekend it aint alot but its better then im going to see here all yr in south east mn

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Here in West Central minnesota there is just a trace of snow. Weather.com is such a tease, there is always snow at the end of there 10 day forecast. Reminds me of a sign i read in a bar "Free beer tomorrow"

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
I'm sorry, but global warming would include the whole world being above average, not just the USA. Hence the term GLOBAL. Up north, the temperature is cold, like it usually is. Also we had the COLDEST October on record this year.

Another thing, listen to some older people in your area. I know around here everyone says they have had winters before with no snow at all. Just because you get a couple of lousy winters doesn't mean it's never going to snow again.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes i have to agree with polaris man on this one we have hade cold enough temps yes we have hade some warm days but not like last yr we just dont get any precip at all i think we have hade maybe an inch of precip here in southeastern mn since mid sep to date thats only a trace every month at best they say dry out west normal precip for mn yeah right like they know anything right out weat has hade more then anyone so far michigan is even dry right now i wanted to go there jan 12-15 to ironwood and no snow sucks hey confusedguy if we ever do get snow here in mn we should hook up for an afternoon do some riden im not to far from you a couple hours we have several people that ride with us its a blast lots of bars here pretty good trails if we get enough to groom em

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
yup the forecast has already been updated stupid f'n weather went from getting lota snow to almost 40 all next week.. so freakn gay i hate this states stupid bs, so frustrating i wana shoot somethn but i sold all my guns.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm sorry, but global warming would include the whole world being above average, not just the USA
Obviously.

I was inferring to the slower change of weather conditions at higher elevations -- as in the mountains, where precipitation is typically heavier than in the plains regions of the USA (I did not mean to slight our Canadian brethren -- you guys are getting warmer too [:)]). However, There is no question that over the last 20, if not the last 10 years, the weather patterns have changed dramatically in Minnesota. The last winter in Minnesota without any snow (so to speak) this late in the winter was 1980. Although coldests months on record can still happen, the AVERAGE temperature is increasing every year.

Ultimately there will be no snow anywhere and the polar ice caps will melt. Didn't you guys see Water World ??? Geez. [:D][:D][:D]

Just to let you guys know -- I'm basically just a clown. So don't take anything I say seriously.[/size=1] [:)]

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't believe in that global warming crap. I do believe the earth goes through cycles and we happen to be in one where were not getting as much snow as we used to. It'll come around. The earth has been around for millions of years it can take care of itself.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
sizzler says taht the alst winter in MN w/o any snow this late int he winter was 1980...i remember a few good years since like 1990......thas as far back as i can really remember, i remember be able to ride across fields here in ND, and the last 2 winters have been pure crap here too.....so maybe its a cycle, no snow in 1980, no snow about 20 years later, good snow in the 90s.......maybe in a few years we will get hammered again, i remember like 5 years ago gettin a couple feet around easter time.......so i dunno...

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
Well, in the winter of 1996/1997 we got record amounts of snowfall, and we had one helluva flood in the spring of 1997. Then in 1998 we have had no snow really. It doesn't change that quickly that fast. It's going through a cycle. We will get snow again.

·
Administrator
1998 XCR 440
13,109 Posts
I think it's supposed to cycle the other way tho and melt what we do have.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I seriously hope snow happens everywhere. I particulary love the winters where I'm at though. Lots and lots of powder and nice temperatures (i.e not COLD below zero stuff). Too bad the cost of living here is so high!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts