Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lieu of trying something different... Me and a couple people I ride with decided we are going to take our big trip the first of Febuary. Instead of starting in the U.P., this year we have decided to start on the WI side and make are way into the UP. I have never done this before, so I'm looking for suggestions on places to go or stop... Also, since I'm starting in WI, I'm guessing I will have to get a trail permit. Whats the cost? B/C in MI it is cheap. Also, are there any places that rent newer longer tracked sleds... This will help me decide if I'm going to trailer or not. Some of the people we meet up with are from Missouri and will be renting regardless.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
WI trail pass for 2010-11 is $35. Isn't that the price MI charged last year for non residents.

Hopefully, someone has information for you. I want to ride from the Mountain/Townsend area up to Iron River MI and then take a day or two from there.

If you get into Iron River and like pizza, stop at the Riverside bar. There is sled parking at the top of the hill and the walk is short. Or, I think the trail goes by their parking lot across the street.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
picman said:
WI trail pass for 2010-11 is $35. Isn't that the price MI charged last year for non residents.

Hopefully, someone has information for you. I want to ride from the Mountain/Townsend area up to Iron River MI and then take a day or two from there.

If you get into Iron River and like pizza, stop at the Riverside bar. There is sled parking at the top of the hill and the walk is short. Or, I think the trail goes by their parking lot across the street.
My cabin is in the Townsend area right by the Townsend flowage dam. We do a ride from Townsend to pickerel, over to crandon and then up to three lakes, then down to dunbar and athlestien and finally ending at henneseys.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I rode Hurley, WI last year for a day or so before we headed to the UP...the WI trail permit is about 8"x6", I think so they can see the darn thing from a helicopter?!??!

Yes, you will need a WI permit, hope you have a tall windsheild to fit it all on!!

Burch

I checked and the cost for the permit for non-resident is $35..

Burch

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
zecow224 said:
picman said:

My cabin is in the Townsend area right by the Townsend flowage dam. We do a ride from Townsend to pickerel, over to crandon and then up to three lakes, then down to dunbar and athlestien and finally ending at henneseys.
We do like that Trail 7-the old rail grade. We sometimes ride from Crivitz to Mountain and then north. We turn off at Laona to go back to Dunbar and then south to Crivitz. I really wish they would buy up the rest of the rail grade between Laona and Newald so that we would not have to loop around to Crandon before heading north again.

Have never gone to Crandon via Pickerel. How are the trails that way? We did get off Trail 7 by Carter on the other system and found them not to our liking. Seems their grooming schedule leaves a lot to be desired.

I want to go back to the Rhinelander area this year. Our first and only trip that way was a small nightmare. Crandon did not have gas, missed the station at Monico and the turn off to Rhineland. We ended up heading north to Three Lakes and running out of fuel. None of the signs told us how far to a station-only which way to go to get there. I had 99 miles in when we finally got to a hotel that had gas. A special thanks to the couple that showed us the way!!! I could not have had more than 1/2 gal of fuel left. NEVER want to get that low again. And we did not have a trail map for that area. Thought we would pick one up at Crandon. Of course they did not have one as the Rhinelander area is in a different county/system.

Fixed that problem, I spent the next few weeks looking at all the trails and ordered as many maps as I could. Now, I can run all the counties in that area.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I like the pickeral trail you can get on a old logging road/national forrest road that they groom every 3 days that runs from roberts lake to crandon and from there you can basically go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks. I'll have to check my maps and try that one.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, researching maps as we speak. $35 is what we pay in Michigan. I can't wait to get up there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts