Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got this sled (1996 Indy 500), I have been having trouble with my sled seeming to want to turn to one side or the other without any steering input from me. If I lean slightly to the right or the left (it seems a little more pronounced to the left), it seems to turn that direction without me using the handlebars. Whenever I am moving fast and hit a large bump the sled will swerve back and forth as I move a little bit on the landing. I guess it just seems unstable and makes for very scary trail riding. It is bad enough that I purposely slow down near large hills and such because I am always afraid the sucker will steer me off the cliff or large hill on the side of the trail (It probably wouldn't really happen, but I just don't trust the sled). I thought that maybe something in the steering was loose, but I replaced the spindle bushings, the bolts through them, and the ski bumpers. I used an alignment bar to make sure that the camber was right (it was way off, but fixing it didn't seem to help). I also realigned the toe with the bar, and then toed it out after I set it down (I used a board from the track to the skis and measured to the center of the bolts for the skags on each side.) I could swear that even after doing this, the skis were not quite even in toe-out (I figured that if the measurements were right, I was just wrong). Well it still does it and it still darts like crazy. Should I put the bar through the spindles, get the skis parallel, and try it that way? Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

[attachment=51662]

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
I see your problem-----NO SNOW.Just kidding,but the bar should slid tru the spindles with little difficulty.What about the limiter straps?Too much ski pressure?Just throwing some ideas out there.If you are running 6 or 8 inches of carbid and no studs that can also cause problems.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
It sounds like a ski pressure issue to me, too. Slight tracking to the left or right when leaning seems normal to me. Does it do it in all snow conditions?

Otherwise, it sounds like you have your bases covered.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Your right ski seems to be pointing out some... with you ski's straight measure the distance from ski center to ski center about 10 inches in front of the spindle and 10 inches in the back of the spindle... these numbers should be relatively the same.. if not adjust your tie rods accordingly.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the front limiter straps as loose as they go. The ski springs have 6 settings (I think) and they have 2 higher settings to go. They were previously on the 2nd lowest setting, which caused extreme ski lift in corners ( the inside ski would be at least a half foot in the air even though I was leaning into the corner at a speed of about 35 mph) Also, the bumper would hit the ground through ditches on the lower settings.

In a field with no tracks, about 8 to 12 inches of snow, the throttle held at a steady 30 mph, and the handlebars held completely straight, it would veer off to the left about 30 to 40 feet after traveling about 200 to 300 feet in a straight line. Even after correcting it and straightening it out, it would again pull to the left about the same amount. The trails down here are closed, so I couldn't find out if it does it on the trails, but it used to be constant fighting on the trails last year.

I also thought that maybe a shock was going out or something up front. So I stood on the running boards and moved my upper body left and right relatively quickly. Everytime I threw myself to the left, the right ski would seem to lift up and then come back down (I had to throw myself back and forth pretty good to make it do it) but I had to do it faster for the left ski to lift, and at the same speed, the right would lift about twice as high.

The rear torsion springs are new, the rear shock is new, the front torque arm spring is new, The last set of torsion springs I removed were the HD springs and the left one was bent slightly (the little finger that sits on the adjuster block was at a different angle than the other one), but the previous owner had put an aluminum block on the rail to cover up a wobbled out suspension hole, and the spring hit it. I have since had the hole professionally welded. Also, at times I almost swear it feels like the sled in not balanced side to side. It will be fine, and then it all of a sudden feels like the sled hangs a little more to one side than the other. Also, both of the rods in the suspension arms move okay, so they mustn't be bent or very slightly if they are. If you get off, it seems to sit normal. I assumed fixing the hole would solve it, but the feeling came back the other day. Maybe I am just going crazy and getting paranoid or something too, because I notice it, but my dad doesn't after riding it around for a couple minutes. Also, it has 6 in carbides on it (down from the previous owner's 10 inches (He never had studs either!!!)
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you more info to work with.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Front rear shock? is that OK? Check your toeout with a bunji cord taking up the slack between the two ski loops.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, front torque arm shock is good, I checked it when I replaced its spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts