Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am selling my beloved Arctic Cat ZR500. I've had this sled for about 4 years, bought it from my brother so it has been in the family for quite awhile. I have always taken great care of it and I just didn't ride the thing once last year, so I think it is time to move on to a different powersport for me.

It has just over 3500 miles on it, if I recall correctly (I forgot to look when I took pictures)
It has always been stored in a heated garage in the winter and stored in a garage from spring to fall
I did not ride the sled at all this season
The sled is very quick and starts up on first or second pull every time
I used arctic cat 2cycle oil for most of its life

The good:
Handle Bar Risers (dramatically improved ride feel for me)
New rear skid & shocks (There was a design error with the 2000 rear skid causing torsion belts to rip and rails to crack, the current skid is from a '99 & the shocks are now fox shocks)
Clutch maintenance.. shims/bearings etc.. were done last season
New seat & gas tank. Brand new still in plastic & was put on at the end of last season
Always stored indoors
Newer track
Adult ridden

The bad:
Windshield is not on because I don't have the mounting hardware (I think its $13 from a dealer to get the mounting hardware) but the windshield is brand new
Ignition is unplugged. I lost the key, but just recently found it. I can put that back together for you if you wanted to purchase
Clutch needs a new spider (well, just a roller kit but the spider is cheaper). If you're looking at these sleds, expect to have to replace that soon if it hasn't been done. They can be done @ a dealer for about $160. (Includes parts & putting it back together)
There is some tape residue on the hood, just a small amount
Rear shock lost charge, though was completely rebuilt last year, probably just a gasket, $30 job if you remove the shock and bring it in to a dealer

I am pricing this sled according to the rest of the ZR500s on the market. They are all pretty much the same thing from 99 to 02, all very great sleds and I highly recommend them to both the beginning and experienced riders.
I have more pictures if you are interested

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
$1800 is a price for this sled that needs nothing, just my opinion. Good luck

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
polarisorbust said:
$1800 is a price for this sled that needs nothing, just my opinion. Good luck
Needs nothing is rather relative. Like I said, this has a new seat/tank ($200+ and pretty much every sled locally has seat tears that is in this price range)
It has an aftermarket riser that I bought from one of the vendors here, which is another $75 and isn't a "value stealing" modification
The clutch spider is something that is incredibly common on these sleds, and while you can drive it the way it is, I believe in fixing shit before it gets really bad.. ask me how I know (i own a bmw car...)
New rear skid with freshly rebuilt fox shocks done by SORTASTOCK last season, though I'm unsure why his rebuild job failed, the shock has lost is pressure..
Newer track
If you are interested and want to negotiate, then do that instead of what you are doing now

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
very possible, I'm looking for something for my girl friend to ride. I know these 500 cats are bullet proof. do you have the stock bars, I know she would not like the riser? what kind of track (lug and profile) did you install?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
polarisorbust said:
very possible, I'm looking for something for my girl friend to ride. I know these 500 cats are bullet proof. do you have the stock bars, I know she would not like the riser? what kind of track (lug and profile) did you install?
I no longer have the stock bar clamps. The rise is non adapter so it is less than 3" or so... Trust me when I say it is much more comfortable. No one would choose stock bar height over this if they tried both.

Its just an OEM track 15"x121"x.85 I think
Its not brand new anymore, that track has 2 seasons on it. Non studded.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd take $1600 for the sled.. It only needs a spider and a rear shock rebuild.. solid motor.. have a great sled running perfectly for less than $1800 after parts..

·
Registered
982 Posts
what's your number? I have a bud that is interested. I'll have him give you a ring just give me your number.

·
Registered
844 Posts
There was a design error with the 2000 rear skid causing torsion belts to rip and rails to crack,

With 4000 miles on my 00 ZR 600efi LE, original rails and track
w/192 studboy studs(since new) I'm more than a little interested to hear
more about this "design error". Was there a service bulletin issued?
Any pics of where the rails are cracking?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cat-sass said:
There was a design error with the 2000 rear skid causing torsion belts to rip and rails to crack,

With 4000 miles on my 00 ZR 600efi LE, original rails and track
w/192 studboy studs(since new) I'm more than a little interested to hear
more about this "design error". Was there a service bulletin issued?
Any pics of where the rails are cracking?
I guess theres no way for me to prove it right now, as I can't find a whole lot of info on the sleds to begin with.. but .. basically, on the tips of the rails there was excessive splitting and cracking on my old skid. I called the dealer and asked them how much for new rails and they told me there were updated, stronger ones. Updated I presume because of design error...

Updated pics:

Still for sale.. I am motivated.. shoot me an offer..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts