Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 polaris 440 and want to make it into a boondocking sled[:D] What would be the best track to put on and such?

·
Registered
963 Posts
i would go to tracks usa and get a camoplast track along with some rail and tunnel extensions. what size are you looking to going to 136 or 144? also are you going to pipe it and put a can on?

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I wouldnt go with more than a 136 in track and a 1.5 in track will do fine for such a light sled in the first place. I would clutch it and gear it for a better low end range but honestly there are not many mods for the 440. You could change drivers and go for a 144 but thats a lot of track to push for a 440.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Your going to run low on hp expecially when slinging a longer track. You may be fine with a few mods. I would just stay somewhat low in altitude because you get high you will know what i'm talking about. Good luck

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Originally posted by larsenracing
[br]Your going to run low on hp expecially when slinging a longer track. You may be fine with a few mods. I would just stay somewhat low in altitude because you get high you will know what i'm talking about. Good luck

yes strong point, I think its 3% HP loss per 1000 ft elevation

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another good mod for boondocking would be to narrow up the center to center distance on the skies along with plastic skies and a belly pan protector for stumps/rocks. gut the air box. You may have to use some flowrights from SLP (http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=21&productID=356) and place them directly into the air box or come up with some other intake systen because the old polaris intakes once playing in the powder started to plug up with powder and then suffacated the engine. but hope this helps Good luck.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
i would try to get a bigger and newer sled like a 95 or newer and maybe over 500cc sled like a sks or rmk and then it will be worth the extra money for a good sled

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
^^^Sometimes that isnt as easy as it sounds. I think it would be a cool project and it would be a very light sled all in all. Definitly boondocker material seeing the lighter the more fun it is to throw around. I dont think power will be that big of a deal if you are willing to sacrafice top end to gear it for bottom end. If you can clutch it correctly it will have all you need for a fun little sled.
-136" 1.5" track
-gear for bottom end
-clutch
-if you want plastic skis (pricey)
-make sure your jetting is right on
-port your track
-gut your air box
-loosen your limiter straps
^^^The bottom four are free.
I would say for 500 bucks you could have a fun off trail sled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts