Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of putting pipes on my Indy 400 and I've got a friend with a cluched up and I think piped 500 who is making fun of me right now ( hes even letting go of the gas and that type of stuff ) Does anybody have any ideas to help me come close or even beat him [?]

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Do they sell pipes for the 400???

·
Registered
777 Posts
yes the 500 top end fits right on the 400. bottom ends are the same

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Piping the 400 will get you miniumal gains. Clutching would be your best bet. Installing an extra-10 skid would be the best improvement.

If for some reason you ever need a piston. I have a brand new wisco piston for a '90 Indy400 (will fit other 400's I'm sure) sitting in my garage. In fact, it's been sitting there for over 10 years now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info , I ead about whether they do make pipes for the 400 and they do , it gives you 8 hp and 10lbs weight savings . Do you think I should by one used for about $150 cdn or new for $350 cdn ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the piston offer , my engine has 15 000 miles on it and I'm pretty sure that it could use one . How much do you want for it , and where do you live ?

·
Registered
749 Posts
go on royal distributing.com they have a aaen pipe for your sled. Its a super single and it would be better than twin pipes.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Originally posted by Indy 400 Boy
[br]Thanks for the piston offer , my engine has 15 000 miles on it and I'm pretty sure that it could use one . How much do you want for it , and where do you live ?
$10(american) plus shipping. I live in Duluth, MN.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
nah that wouldnt do nothing really. a good port and polish would spice it up a bit. a good clutch job and maybe regearing would help quite a bit

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
anyone have any clutching ideas for a 400??

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have an after market pipe on the ole 400 and man it helps. Don't know what make it is because all it says is "Racing"on it. It's a fat pipe though. Put Wiseco pistons in and it works great. You're due for a rebuild very soon with that mileage.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Good stuff. You should be able to notice some gains with a rebuild

·
Registered
749 Posts
Well that aaen will give right around 8 or 9hp. Your sled has 63-65 horsepower so you should have about 72-74 with the pipe installed. You should beat a 500.

·
Registered
581 Posts
you can change the 400 engine into a 500 by bolting a pair of 500 jugs and pistons right into the block because they use the same bottom end. a clutch kit with a multi angle helix, weights, rolers and springs would be better and less costly. i have a 1990 indy 400 it has slp ultra light skis, new bearings and sliders in the suspension, a .82 track on backwards, and my clutch is set up with the spring in the 3rd tower or somthing like that so that it is set up for drag racing (gives me tons of acceleration and mid range)with my 400 set up like this i can beat the 500's and keep up to the 7's very well. it will do 100-110 mph tops

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
First you have to decide how much money and time you want to stick into your sled. You might just be better off selling yours and moving up to a 500 or 600.

Also there is NO WAY a 400 is going to do 100-110mph,even with the stuff you mentioned.
Alot of people know their snowmobiles on here and they will all tell you that. I would say your speedo is way off.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts