Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv heard that cutting the back off of a stock indy pipe and removing some of the packing and rewelding it can increase power by a small margin. Also told minor jetting changes are needed after.

Anyone heard of or done this? Always a fan of cheap tricks of the trade.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well if theres no power gain i think i'll just leave it alone. Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
hey listen to this. i already done it last year, and you can definitely notice the diff. at the back weld on the pipe, right where it starts to go straight from the biggest point. get a zip cut and cut around the welding on the side closest to the end. be careful not to cut in too far. when you're done, get a hammer and hit the exhaust outlet a few times. the whole back of the pipe will come off, and oh my.. guess what? now it looks the same as a regular pipe that would need a stinger! sometimes you may cut the hole back off the pipe and have to cut the silencing part right down the middle, pull the cone back out, and weld it back on. when that is finished, measure your outlet end, get some exhaust pipe to match, buy a small aftermarket stinger, one from the zrt arctic cat triples will work well, diameter is the same. the inside dia. i think is 1.50".

if you want more power, probably want to stay away from wot lake runs then though, get a .020 shim made up and put it in the pipe in between the pipe and silencer. this will reflect more heat back and give you more hp. but with long runs may heat up too much and meltdown. thats why i have a etg : )

i used a pipe like this all last season and am now upgrading to twin pipes. it worked well for me, sounds nice too :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
im almost sure that someone has done the same thing to mine. the reason for this is because its an awful tight fit and has a way different sound that my dads 1992 indy 500 and theres a bunch of welded peaces after the bend. i enjoy it, and the fact it gets louder as you get faster:)

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
On my 95 xcr 600. I cut the end off and slid in a peice of straight pipe and then weled it back together. It had a deeper tone and seemed snappier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hey 92 xcr 440 do you have any pics of the modifacation you done to your exhaust i like to try to to it with mine did you have to jet or anything it would be very awsome if you could give me some info and pics well what i like to know is some mesurements and the size of stinger you have on there .but some pics would be fine thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
hi fanatics ive been trying to find out some info on what 92xcr440 is saying i want to do the same with my indy but i need some specs on exactly how to do this if you read this 92xcr440 or any one whho done this i love to get a pic of the pipe after you had it done .and tell me how it performed after you had it done .one more thing ill ask.if i could get a sound clip of it .would be freaking awsome so can some one let me know im dying to try this but need some info on it before i start cutting. thanks shawn

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.