Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt the carbs on my 1996 xcr440 special and left the airbox off for the test run. The machine sounds and performs fricken awesome without the box! Anyone know if I run filter pods rather than the stock airbox do I have to rejet? I would think the pods would give enough back pressure I'd be safe from a burn down but let me know what you have found out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I wouldn't run it without the airbox again if I were you unless you knew what you were doing. Why suck in warm underhood heat?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
backpressure from pods??? errr, no. You can run pods effectively if you feed them cold air. Otherwise you're losing performance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I agree with above posts - dont run it without anything. Its a last thing you would want anything to be suck inside the motor and having to cause a major damage - put the airbox back on. Or at least put the filter pods on if you want to go to that route. WL

·
Registered
482 Posts
the only time you would really worry about hot air is at idle, when you are moving you have air coming in through the hood. One thing the stock air box is definitely good for is supporting the carbs so they dont wobble with the motor. You could just change your jetting too, but right now you might get false readings because it might not be as cold out as its going to be during the real winter, and you could have a lean out problem. BUT with that said, most sleds are jetted rich from the factory.

I'd do a clutch kit first. Then the air filters, then maybe a pipe.

·
Registered
690 Posts
hey cut out the foam on your air box but leave the outside piece, i was talking to a mechanic from our dealer and he said cut it out, i was suprised and i didn't believe him but he showed me all the new sleds and the foam in the middle needs to be cut out but the outside needs to stay on, i just did it to all my sleds, he said the reason you need to this is because snow gets in their and lays on the foam and its causing sleds to blow up, if you dont believe me look at all the new sleds, heres some pics
[attachment=51721][attachment=51722]

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
Originally posted by polaris09
[br]hey cut out the foam on your air box but leave the outside piece, i was talking to a mechanic from our dealer and he said cut it out, i was suprised and i didn't believe him but he showed me all the new sleds and the foam in the middle needs to be cut out but the outside needs to stay on, i just did it to all my sleds, he said the reason you need to this is because snow gets in their and lays on the foam and its causing sleds to blow up, if you dont believe me look at all the new sleds
Thats right snow gets on that fom but it wont cause a engine to blow up it will just richen the mixture and cause booging . That fome is there for a reason if to much snow enters via air box it will enter into the carbs causing carb ice ups and even worst it can break down your oil and cause you skirts on the intake side of the piston to scuf. Leave that fome the way it is the new sleds have a different design hood and filters the snow differently. I have seen myself stop 3 to 4 times a day in the powder to clean the snow off the foam filter imagine the damage i could of created if i wouldn't have one on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts