Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does everybody think of modular helmets are they woth getting i ma thinking about getting this black silver and white one what do you think

http://helmetoutletusa.com/index.cgi?Detail=1201&Function=Snowmobile&Cat=Helmets&Name=Element
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
if your going to get a modular helmet you need to get the bombardier ones, cuz the cheap ones don't work. i love my modular, wouldn't ride with any other helmet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,716 Posts
I have that same HJC helmet, It's very comfortable, warm, and the breath mask work's very well for Me. You might want to stop at a shop that carries them and try some on, so that you're sure about the size. I usually take a medium, but ended up with a large in this helmet.
Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
They really help me because I wear glasses and since I don't have to take them off whenever we stop they don't fog up so badly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
i have a polaris modular. don't ever wanna go back to the full face. i love mine.
some of the GMAX's are better than others. they made them cheaper this year and the breath mask is kinda like a full face's. not near as nice as the rubber polaris/skidoo ones. but my favorite thing is the built in sunglasses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive never seen built in sunglasses but if your talking about the tinted shield that comes down yeah ive seen those and their nice because its so eay all you have to do is reach up and push the shield down
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Originally posted by bulldog_shotgun
[br]i have a polaris modular. don't ever wanna go back to the full face. i love mine.
some of the GMAX's are better than others. they made them cheaper this year and the breath mask is kinda like a full face's. not near as nice as the rubber polaris/skidoo ones. but my favorite thing is the built in sunglasses.
i just bought one cant wait to try it out so r they worth the extra cash?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
I would pass on the modular. I personally wouldnt wear a helmet that doesnt carry a Snell rating. No modular helmet has ever been able to pass the Snell test. Consider the fact that the only thing that holds the front of the helmet closed are 2 little plastic hooks. If you go over the fars and do a faceplant, its very possible that the hooks will fail and the front of the helmet will pop open, making your face vulnerable to serious injury.
IMO, the negatives outweigh the positives. Im not willing to sacrafice protection in order to get the convenience of a helmet the folds up in the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I have had a modular helmet for two years and wouldn't trade it for the world. there is no worry of your power point failing for your heated visor, and the sun visor in tops!!My only complaint is if it is really cold like -25-30c the intake holes have froze over before, make sure it is the bombardier not a knock off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont think they would sell a helmet that if you were riding and somehow flew off i dont think the shield would come open
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
Never say it can't. Remember it is dot rated but not snell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,518 Posts
Originally posted by LakesOfTheNorth_rider
[br]i dont think they would sell a helmet that if you were riding and somehow flew off i dont think the shield would come open
Is that a chance you are willing to take? I know Im not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,718 Posts
I have had a BRP modular for years and love it. It never fogs or freezes. I always have clear sitre with it. It a snever come open while driving....or flew off..The down fall is they are pricey. There is always well priced modulars on DT and on FleeBay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
985 Posts
Originally posted by Octane
[br]I would pass on the modular. I personally wouldnt wear a helmet that doesnt carry a Snell rating. No modular helmet has ever been able to pass the Snell test. Consider the fact that the only thing that holds the front of the helmet closed are 2 little plastic hooks. If you go over the fars and do a faceplant, its very possible that the hooks will fail and the front of the helmet will pop open, making your face vulnerable to serious injury.
IMO, the negatives outweigh the positives. Im not willing to sacrafice protection in order to get the convenience of a helmet the folds up in the front.
this isn't true. Lazer used to make a modular that was snell rated.
they also used steel latches, not plastic hooks. and they quit making it. but still......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
855 Posts
I've crashed plenty of things. imo the ratings are a bunch of crap. My buddy was riding his dirt bike going through thees trails we made,he comes around the corner and a dog was in the middle of the trail. He hit the dog flew off the bike head first into a tree CRACKED his helmet right down the middle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,722 Posts
yup thats what it is supposed to do. Absorb the impact. They also say that every 3-4 years you should get a new one. If you drop it you are supposed to get a new one.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top