Snowmobile Fanatics banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the h*$# happened to my sled the other day? I have just bought a 97 Formula 500 and was out on the weekend with some friends. We were out on a flat stretch and I had it wide open for about 15-20 seconds when all of a sudden it just shut down. It was as if someone had turned the key off. I opened the hood and all looked fine so I tried the key again and it started up just fine. It has been fine since then too. Any ideas here? [?]

·
Registered
252 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is maybe something with the Stator or loose wiring?

Start you sled and start wiggling some wires like you kill switch,or you key swithc see if it acts like the sled wants to die if so just find the wire and tighten her up.Hopefully it's something that simple.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Does that sled have throttle safety switches, Maybe the switches determined you had a runaway, and shut the motor down.
If you have carb's the safety switches would be those little magnetic switches mounted on the side of the carbs.
That's what they are designed to do, shut down the engine if the throttle stay's open too long.
Rick

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna have to try these ideas and see about the safety switches, not sure if it has it or not.(it does have carbs) I like these ideas better than another guy I was talking to...he told me it sounded like a momentary seize, that maybe something was blocking the jet when it was wide open and leaned it out enough that it seized for a moment, but would let me start it again. He says if that is the case, then the piston is going to continue to wear down and damage the top end. See why I don't like what he says! I hope it's something simple too. Like I said though....I'll check those things out. Thanks. Any other ideas on this ... let me know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well.....I found the problem. I finally took it apart to check the cylinders and one was definitely not good. Now I just need to find out WHY this happened. It seems it only ran lean when it was wide open. Luckily the cylinder is not damaged badly...just getting it honed out. This pic is of the carb side....exhaust side is not as bad. [attachment=61163]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
what is your main jet size? and what was the temp out side

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this happen to me more than once. The main jets get partially blocked from sitting all summer and leans it out at wide oped throttle. It will stick fast and free up as soon as it cools off. Take carbs apart and clean the jets, alcohol works pretty good.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by XCR
[br]what is your main jet size? and what was the temp out side
Honestly, I don't know the size of the jets. It was about -20 C out that night.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
thats not that bad for temp, i would look in to the carbs and carb boots for cracks or some thing

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Double post...

http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63490

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.