Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a clip came off the needle in my car last weekend n went threw the clutch side jug of my 96 xcr 600 sp.[xx(] i got another jug n looked at the two. n noticed somthing wrong. i measured the bore of my new one (63.5) n the old one (65.5) so i took it to the local sled shop n was takin to my friend. the first owner of my sled was a competitive drag racer.(im the trird owner) so we called him up n and asked questions n told him our problem. we finaly got it out of him that the jugs were off a 680 ultra. my friend told me that the 680 had more nuts then the 700 xcr. what do yall think of the 680 ultra?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u can put on xcr 700 jugs to there the same outside size just the bore is diff and the stroke is the same. i wish i hadda known when i bout it that it was a 680 not a 600

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want slp pipes for it cuz on the web site it increses horsepower by 43!!!! thats huge for an exhast. n DAMN i cant spell

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
neone elase got a opinion on the 680 ultra? or know how much horsepower it has? iv been told around 135

·
Super Moderator
11,272 Posts
The ultra sp has 105-108HP and the spx is like 130HP or something..My bro has a 97 ultra and it is pretty fast..Put some SLP pipes on it and your looking close to 150HP!!!!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
you don't have a 1996 XCR 600 SP if pipes increase the Hp that much. Or you misunderstand. Pipes won't help more than say 5-10 at most on your sled. The 1996 XCR 600 would gain maybe not 43 but close to it from pipes. The SP is a factory 600 triple cylinder with triple pipes, the XCR non SP is a 600 triple cylinder with a single pipe. The single pipe version would gain close to that much from pipes.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im just saying what it says on the slp web site.for a 680 ultra (thats what me jugs r) it says for the trail pipes it adds 35 hp n for the trail mod pipes it adds 43hp.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and rmk- king the stock 1996xcr 600 sp has 125 hp so i highly doubt that the 680 ultra only has 105-108. it was drg races so i dont thing the racer would put on jugs the put out lest hp then the stock ones

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
you are missing that the Ultra came with a single pipe just like the non SP XCR. So yes it did have 105-108HP. Thats why the pipes again add that much. The Ultra was a 680 sure but it had a single pipe.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i didnt know this. it has triple pipes on it, so they must b from the stock xcr cuz there heat shielded n stuff like the new ones

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
according to dynoport my old 97 ultra spx with their tripple pipes on it would push 148hp.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Tripple piped '96 680 ultras rock. Plain and simple, nice lake sleds. If it has slp,PSI, or dynoport pipes they are that much better. If the other guy did this work to it and dragged it, you might want to check and see if it was ported? If so, you might want it matched.

·
Registered
197 Posts
thank god my days of the triple/triple/triple are done with, if you plan on drags w/this sled good! if you trail with it watch out! the combos are very picky! the power band narrow, and the wrench time is astonishing! get a pyro or blow jugs!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its been ported, so my friend is porting the new one, n u say the powerband is narrow? how so? mine pulls like a son of s bitch from 5800-8700rpm.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if its like the stock XCR it pulls till about 4500, then doesn't pull till you Get to about 6k. I hated that about mine, had a gap in the powerband which was right in the 30-40mph trail riding band. You are mistaken though aklawok, you haven't seen my dad's Viper, Triple Triple that works pretty good all the way around and has a nice wide powerband.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I just sold my 97 Ultra SPX SE 680.... factory triple piped.. sled was awesome, but hard to ride @ 20-25 mph range.... wasn't a sled for touring, just full on blasts across the lake.. nice wide stance, very stable, and heavy.. had it up in the mountains a few times, but with a 133x2 track and 525 lbs of sled with a 230 lb rider... i stayed away from the real deep stuff. But the sound of that trip/trip 680 w/ the stinger... ahhhhhhhh, nuthin like it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Let me guess in that bad range it just lulled and didn't have crap for power till you got out of it. I don't know how many times my uncle yelled at me saying I was either going too fast or two slow on thet rails but it was the freaking sled it was how that sled was. Took a lot of learning wtih the throttle to ride in that range and even then it was bad. After a couple days of following me he realized it was the sled and not me and apologized.

·
Registered
506 Posts
3x3's rule, I dunno what yer talking about narrow powerband, any 3x3 I"ve ever seen has a WAY broader powerband than a 2x1. does make for a tank of a sled tho.

and ya, there's something about the sound of a 3x3 w/ stingers, just... nothing like it, that scream/howl. I prefer that sound alot to the 2x1 moan.

pretty funny that a decideing factor in the purchase of a sled is the sound : )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts