Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was in the paper today.

Snowmobile tragedy. 10-year-old boy killed, two other kids injured.

One child was killed and two others, including his twin brother, injured in a snowmobile accident Saturday afternoon in the town of Ste. Rose du Lac.

The death of the unidentified boy, believed to be about 10 years old, continues a disturbing trend this snowmobile season.

He is the fourth young male in two months to die in a mishap in Manitoba.

"As a safety person we know that all of these situations could have been prevented," said Mike Waite, executive director of Safety Services Manitoba (SSM). "That's when it rips your heart strings."

In Canada, about four children under 16 die in snowmobile-related accidents annually, says the Canadian Pediatric Society (CPS).

Ste. Rose du Lac fire department chief Alphonse Labelle said the boy was fatally injured and two others sent to hospital when a snowmobile pulling an inner tube was involved in some sort of accident. It's unclear if the children were wearing helmets.

RCMP are expected to release further information on the fatality today.

CPS urges snowmobilers not to pull others on saucers, tubes, tires, sleds or skis behind their machine.

A woman who lives in the town, about 300 kilometres northwest of Winnipeg, said the boy's twin brother was hurt. The third child is a girl who suffered a broken leg.

INNER TUBE

The children appeared to riding on the inner tube, she said.

The accident happened on the town's dike, just west of its fire hall.

"Whomever was driving had left when the firemen arrived. There was no machine, just the kids lying there. Maybe the driver had gone for help," said the woman, who did not want her name published.

Rescuers used snowmobiles to reach the children, who were at the bottom of the dike that protects the town from Turtle River.

"It's a sad thing for the community," Mayor Rene Maillard said.

"It's the last thing you want to see happen, especially when children are involved."

SSM offers a voluntary snowmobile operator's training program, but wants such a course to become mandatory.

Three males who died in snowmobile accidents in December are Kyle Flett, 20, of Petersfield, Evan Lecomte, 15, of Winnipeg, and Cory Bell, 15, of Thompson.

Raceman1

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just read about that, it's too bad. I sure hope the driver went to get help and didn't just take off.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
little brain power and forthought and this could have been avoided. sad but where were the parents? young kids left unsupervised with a machine cable of doning 60mph and the least.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
sad situaition seems like there are a bunch of accidents and deaths so far this year already...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Where are the parents? 10 years old? No child should die at that age when it could have been prevented.

·
Registered
622 Posts
What a sad sad deal.[:(] Did not realize there were so many accidents and deaths dealing with snowmobiling. I guess I tend to be a defensive driver and do not have the tendency to be too crazy - - - and still have a lot of fun!

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is truly horrible. But I'm not alone in wondering where the parents are when the kids are that young. Please be safe....if you have to think .... is this nuts?....then you probably shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
it really is sad. the parents could have prevented this i think. my condolances to the family.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
not just the parents.. the kids involved should of used their brains..

·
Registered
831 Posts
Accidents like this are always terrible. Tripple terrible when youth is wasted so early.

God Bless everyone concerned.

Bulldog

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More info from todays paper.

Town in mourning. Sled victim 'a sweet boy'

Ste. Rose du Lac family is in a state of shock after losing a son in a freak snowmobile accident over the weekend.

In his 10 years, Zola Mpepo-Ahmo touched residents of the entire community with his caring and outgoing personality, his mother said last night.

"He was a sweet little boy that affected a lot of people. He was very loving," Margaret Ahmo said. "The whole community is grieving. It's a deep loss."

Relatives and friends are rallying around the family as it deals with the tragic loss. Mpepo-Ahmo is survived by his mom, three brothers and two sisters. His dad and half-brother live in Winnipeg.

The Grade 4 student at Ste. Rose Elementary School died Saturday when an inner tube he was in being pulled behind a snowmobile hit a large rock, became airborne and hit a hydro pole, police said.

His twin brother and a 13-year-old female cousin were riding on the inner tube with him and were injured.

INSEPARABLE

Mpepo-Ahmo's 15-year-old brother was driving the snowmobile at the time. He showed courage by leaving the scene on the snowmobile to seek help for his brothers and cousin.

Raceman1

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Unfortunately, all kids that young do not have the ability to use good reasoning skills when it comes to what is fun and what is dangerous.....you maybe an exception.......if you think
Originally posted by arcticcatinc
[br]not just the parents.. the kids involved should of used their brains..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts