Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my sled is running "just nifty", we can address the electrical problem on my daughter's sled ('97 380 Formula S).

Trailblazer installed an accessory plug for her heated visor. There are two wires coming from this plug; one goes to a ground and the other goes to another plug. The dealer told him to plug the other plug into a plug receptable that was already under the hood. This second plug has two yellow wires going to it. Both are hot (live). When he plugs the visor into this setup the lights on the sled go dim and the sled almost dies. It looks like the circuit is going to ground.

Any ideas? What's wrong with this picture?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The visor hasn't even been plugged in yet; it's when he plugs the first plug (accessory plug) into the second plug (under hood) that it tries to shut down. Should both yellow wires going to the second plug be live?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
No you shouldn't have to live wires going to one plug. (Don't quote me on that) I beleive the should be one live, one that is the return wire (it goes back to wherever those nifty wires come from) and the then the ground...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
the 2 yellow wire plug is the right one i just did one on mine yellow with blackstripe is the ground and the all yellow one is the hott if u open the hood it should be right above the chain case

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trailblazer is getting both wires reading hot; the ground shouldn't read hot, should it? He hasn't been able to trace them back yet because they run through a tube or something and he hasn't had time to try and follow it through.

Would they be hooked up wrong from the factory? Or is there some way the ground could become live? I imagine that plug was installed from the get-go... or maybe they've rubbed through and are shorting out... hmmm...

·
Registered
66 Posts
You whould be reading 12 volts between both wires and not from ground to each wire. No voltage on the ground wire, might be that that is the wrong plug to use...Try to find one that has 12 volts between the two of them..One will be ground and the other hot

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sounds like a short in your accessory plug. If you have grounded one wire on the engine somewhere, then all you need is a hot wire for the other wire. Ohm out your accessory plug to make sure its ok.

·
Registered
366 Posts
when i hooked up mine one side to a hot lead the other is bolted to the frame and it works great

Rich

·
Registered
266 Posts
Jac, cut out all those nasty electrical wires out of that sled. Then tell T-blaze that Spaceman told ya to do it. HAHA seriously, read the wire for proper voltage also IE; 12 volts DC.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Spaceman
I followed your advice, I cut ALL OF THE WIRES OUT FROM UNDER THE HOOD.

Jacqui wants to know what time you're going to get here to get her Daughter's sled running again? They're arriving Saturday evening and you better have that sled "good to go."
LOL

Seriously though, after a whole lot of brain racking and having to send the local volunteer foundation savers (firefighters) home. Seems someone saw all that smoke pouring out of my head and called them. Go figure. (sounds serious so far, doesn't it?)

Here's the points I pondered:

1)I figured that it would make no sense that a wire harness for a device would lead from the device to a connector plug and then another wire from the same (back) side of that plug to a ground. There's no way that a circuit could be closed that way.

2)It made no sense that this visor receptacle/plug
which requires a live centre wire and a grounded outer wire for the RCA type visor plug, would only have the red live wire going to the plug. This tells me that the black ground wire has to connect back to the receptacle/plug somehow to create a closed circuit, not to the sleds chassis.

3)I also wondered about the size of the round electrical terminal on the end of the black ground wire. That made me think that maybe it slides over the barrel body of the receptacle/plug.

4)This sled has electric start, therefore it most likely has an AC electrical system. This AC stuff is a whole new concept for me that I only learned about last week. I always asumed that all sleds ran a DC system just like a car. Learn something new everyday. My meter is still packed away in a box somewhere that I haven't been able to find yet. Man I hate moving! So the only tester I have is just a test light. It doesn't tell me if the circuit is AC or DC, just live or not.

Well after reading a post on another forum, it all came together. They confirmed that the factory power plug/connector is indeed the correct power source to use. Yes there are two live wires (yellow with a black stripe) going into it.
The wire I thought grounded to the chassis goes over the barrel body of the visor receptacle/plug.
You then plug the 2 connectors together and should be "good to go."
I'm riding with my son today so I'll be trying this on Saturday. I'll update you later.
Oh, sorry for the long post here but that is how we ALL learn right?

Happy trails
Jeff

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just wanted to update on this issue.
I connected the black wire as posted above.
When I connected the test light, it shone as bright as the headlight. The lights never dimmed and all's well.
We rode a hundred miles today but it wasn't cold enough to need the heated visor. I'm sure it'll work fine.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts