Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy. This spring I am looking at getting a 3" body lift for it. I'd like to get more lift out of it, but i'd really like to NOT spend $600-$800 on a suspension lift. Is their any other way I can get an inch or 2 more out of my ride? I don't really need a suspension lift, just more clearance..Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Well body lifts don't gain you any ground clearance. They simply lift the body off the frame but everything else is the same. You can set some kind of spacer between the leaf springs to lift it some if you don't wanna spend money. Something like a price of 2X4 would do. You jus gotta get some longer u-bolts to accomidate the length difference.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
i have a 98 blazer. i dont think you can without a suspension lift. its the front suspension that is the problem. the back you can do shackles or a spring over. oooo ya tighten the torsion bars. thatll give you some. will hurt ride quality.

·
Registered
75 Posts
are the leaf springs on the back on the top or bottom of the axle if there on top put a block in the back for whatever height you want. if the leafs are on the bottom side do a axle flip, but then you will have to weld spring perches on the top of the axle. that will get you a couple of inches. for the front are there torsion bars on it if there is crank the bars up you can get about a inch or more, or buy the torsion bar keys those are good for 1.5 to 2 inches of lift

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Unfortunately there is no alternative. You can crank your tbars, but then your upper control arms can rub the frame. I've had my Blazer for 5 years and I've always wanted to lift it and put a 5.7L in it, but it's just not worth it. By the time you're all said and done JUST to lift 6 inches and put 33's on it your $3,000 deep. No thanks. How many 2dr 4X4 5 Spd V8 S10 Blazers do you see lifted 9 inches with 35's though haha.

·
Registered
108 Posts
honestly, i would just leave the suspension alone. stay with the body lift and put taller tires on it. see what fits. I have a 01 1500 with a 6in skyjacker in it and it was probably the wors money I have ever spent. I can handle the poor ride quality, but i replace cv axles, ball joints and u joints annually. really wish I would have gone with just the body lift

truck looks good going down the road though lol

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Just do a 3in body. you will be able to fit 31s if you use stock rims or rims with the same back spaceing.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
a front independant suspension lift cost a lot of money. do a 3inch body lift and get some 31 inch tires. just remember the higher you go the easier it is to flip over.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
1FastSPX97 said:
honestly, i would just leave the suspension alone. stay with the body lift and put taller tires on it. see what fits. I have a 01 1500 with a 6in skyjacker in it and it was probably the wors money I have ever spent. I can handle the poor ride quality, but i replace cv axles, ball joints and u joints annually. really wish I would have gone with just the body lift

Exactly, I had a 00 chevy 1500 and I just put a 3" body lift and didnt have to worry about anything else. You can still put bigger tires on it and you gain the clearance your looking for.
OH dont use a 2x4, good to Autobarn just south of 28th. steet I believe on Division this spring (they always have a huge spring sale on all lifts) and go with the BDS 3" body lift, I believe I payed $250 and it came with everything I needed. Did it myself in a weekend.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dekk70 said:
Well body lifts don't gain you any ground clearance. They simply lift the body off the frame but everything else is the same. You can set some kind of spacer between the leaf springs to lift it some if you don't wanna spend money. Something like a price of 2X4 would do. You jus gotta get some longer u-bolts to accomidate the length difference.
I meant to say more clearance for bigger tires. sorry I didn't explain that in the 1st post.

But I guess I'll just do a body lift then. Cuz I just need some bigger tires. I know i'll be able to fit 31's with the lift. do you guys think I could fit 33's?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
firecatF5 said:
Dekk70 said:
I meant to say more clearance for bigger tires. sorry I didn't explain that in the 1st post.

But I guess I'll just do a body lift then. Cuz I just need some bigger tires. I know i'll be able to fit 31's with the lift. do you guys think I could fit 33's?
I have a bone stock 2000 Blazer and I put 30" BFG A/Ts on it with no issue. If it were me, 3" body lift, Ide try to fit 32's.

·
Registered
104 Posts
you can do the block life 2-4 inches in the rear and crank the torchion bars up and or you can do a shackle flip lift in the rear 2-6 inches and a torchion key in the front. they are all fairly cheap ot more then $200. i would go with the shakle flip and the key lift. sorry for the bad spelling

·
Registered
538 Posts
No offense, but body lifts dont look very good. IMO, the frame is ugly and so is just about anything else under there on a daily driver.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just get some hocky pucks, drill some holes and slip them in, no need for expensive kits. Personally, I dont like the looks body lifts even 3" lits look like blah.

·
Registered
187 Posts
get bigger tires. or go to auto zone or advanced suto parts and the have a kit thats like 50 buck and it has soacer blocks for the rear and keys for the front comes with all the hardware u need new ubots and everything nice kit we put it on my lil bros jimmy looks sweet got about a 2.5 lift out of it and we stuffed 33 on it looks sweet

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
bigford8486 said:
get bigger tires. or go to auto zone or advanced suto parts and the have a kit thats like 50 buck and it has soacer blocks for the rear and keys for the front comes with all the hardware u need new ubots and everything nice kit we put it on my lil bros jimmy looks sweet got about a 2.5 lift out of it and we stuffed 33 on it looks sweet
Blocking the rear will lower an S10. If you want to lift the back you need taller shackles or you need to do an axle flip.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just did this with a 1988 S15 Jimmy. I put 4" body kit homemade from black iron pipe. Then did an axel flip on the rear. The hardest part was the independant front suspension. JW Whitney has a 3 inch lift kit for the front for about $175. Worked great now I fit 35" tires under it with out a problem. Now all I have to do is add a snorkle kit so the motor can breath under water. And also doing some body mods. Once I am done I will be posting pics in my gallery..

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
1FastSPX97 said:

Sounds like you have some issues with your suspension geometry. What all did the kit include?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts