Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, you told me so, heres the deal, put 11 miles on yesterday around the fields by my house and it ran fine. Took it to a lake today and put 6 miles on and the temp light came on, open the hood, and the overflow tank was pissin out the top, let it cool down and took it to my buddies, checked the spark plugs and they looked great, went back out to the lake, went about 2 miles and temp light came on again, so I shut it off and opened the hood, could hear it bubbling, overflow tank was at the max line again, then once it sat for about 5-8 minutes I heard this sucking and I shined a light on the overflow and it just sucked it all back in, whats the deal?

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
i would check your waterpump belt

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would imagine that you have an air pocket in your cooling system. Lift the front end up as high as you can and see if you can burp the air out of it. Are the heat exchangers warm? If not, then it's not ciculating property.
I have found is that you have to pour in your anti-freeze at a snails pace. It will take me 4-5 minutes to fill it after a rebuild to prevent any air from being trapped....and I've never had a problem.
D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just a thought before I try burping the air out of the system, this thing has been on the trailer twice, when I drive it on the trailer, the nose is surely higher than I can pick it up and in that postion for longer than I would care to hold it, and also I am thinking this might be the same problem that I was having last time before I burned the piston up as it was pissin coolant out that day too, and just to some FYI, I have already checked the crank seal and replaced the carb boots, have had one suggestion from a friend, when we rebuilt it I didnt replace the metal head gasket, and was told that once you torque a gasket like that if you take it off it should probably be replaced, could this be a possible cause??

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
you replaced a metal head gasket!!! change the damn thing. yes could surely be a problem, not saying its THE problem but its gonna be if it aint. leaking compression into the water passages once its warmed up pressurizing the coolant.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Gasket could be the cause. You should always put a new one on.
Also check the things mentioned above.
One other thing would be the check valve in the coolant line that goes from the tank to the engine.

·
Registered
807 Posts
If your xcr is case reed triple triple sp then without question your mechanical seal in waterpump went south and probably stripped waterpump gears when pump bearing siezed. If it's piston port engine check waterpump which is none repairable and expensive new. The external waterpump on piston port xcr has a telltale weep hole you should check for coolant loss. Make sure you have a new large style coolant filter installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
not to hijack this thread but I'm having similar problems with my 96 xcr 600 triple triple

starts right up, sounds fine but belches out white smoke from the exhaust non stop and I can't keep coolant in it.

The machine sat for 2 seasons, when I got it out and it started to use coolant the first thing I did was replace the oil gauge/site glass in the water pump and put new o ring head gaskets on it. Now I'm getting stumped.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
^^^^^^^
yours sound like its the head gasket or base gasket let go and now its burnning coolant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've done the had gaskets, guess we're into the base gasket next. I have yet to tear down a triple, 3 individual gaskets I would assume?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts