Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a continuation from this post:
http://www.snowmobilefanatics.com/polarisman/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7212

So I replaced the torsion springs with brand new medium duty springs and also recharged the rear, rear shock, which got much stiffer. I greesed the skid and checked every part on it. I put the skid back in last night (not fun), place it on the ground, and long behold...the same problem! [xx(] I pick up the rear, put it back down and it drops two inches, sit on it and I am an inch from the stops. Is this just how this suspension works? Or should it sit fully upright when no one is on the sled? It also does not rebound well at all when I get off the sled [xx(] What am I missing here? Maybe when I am on the throttle (track under load) the suspension will act correct? All the time and money and no results! [xx(] Sorry for the rant and rave.

Ray

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Still does not seem right.One thing you might want to recheck is the torsion springs.On most the Polaris' the medium ones are the standard ones, then there is a lighter one and a heavier one. You might have put the same torsion springs back in. Also did you have the shock rebuilt or just recharged? As long as you had it apart did you have the front/rear one done too?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
The springs have a different number stamped on them (463 amd 462 I believe) than the stockers. They also seem a little bit beefer, but not much. But they are brand new as opposed to springs that have 4200 miles on them and are beat. I would think even the light ones would be able to hold the rear end up. I just had the shock recharged, but it got stiffer. I really don't see how the front/rear shock does much in terms of this. It does not even move that much when lifting the rear up and down. [B)]

Thanks!
Ray

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is a bizarre problem. So let’s look at bizarre solutions. It sounds like a spring problem since there is no compression resistance and no rebound. That sounds to me like the spring is completely wasted or not hooked up correctly against the factory spring mount locations.

So, Are you sure the springs are mounted correctly ? How are you sure? Manual or ”the was you remember they where”?

Could the short end of the spring be on the wrong side of the adjuster block? Or springs mounted on wrong side of the skid?

I'll see tongiht if I can get you a better picture than this http://home.nycap.rr.com/opt/indy/index.html

It's not the same suspension, buth the theory is similar, I'll check the manual too.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I did some checking on the torsion springs and you are correct.

I know you are new to this, but both shocks should have been rebuilt with new seals. Kinda like on a car- you wouldn't just replace one of the rear shocks.....you do them in pairs.

did you check the adjustment block position? here is a pic of the block on the Med. setting. Low would be a turn counter clockwise so the spring end is sitting on the long part of the block. High would be an additonal turn, with the spring end sitting on the highest part of the block.Only thing different is your springs are probably round.

/snofan/../images/users/ACEXLT/blocks1.jpg

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did some more thinking as to weather this could be the shock or the spring. I really think it has to be the spring. The spring would hold the static height of the rear end (as mentioned in the other post I made about this), so in theory one could remove the shock and the rear end should still not lower on its own. I think [8)]

I am 99.99 percent positive I hooked them up right. They only really go one way and one side. The are seated like I remember them and like brsacjab's are pictured. I even turned the tension block up all the way. I don't think they are shot...they are brand new. The short end is on top of the adjuster block. I will also try to take some pics tonight.

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by ACEXLT
[br]I did some checking on the torsion springs and you are correct.

I know you are new to this, but both shocks should have been rebuilt with new seals. Kinda like on a car- you wouldn't just replace one of the rear shocks.....you do them in pairs.
You are right. I really should have, but I am broke. This whole project was a bit unexpected, but I had to do it. Thanks for the input [:D] I am sure I'll have the skid back out [:(!] So maybe I'll send that one too.

Ray

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
grinch-go back up and look at the pic I added...............

·
Registered
637 Posts
w/ the suspension back in and togather, how hard was it to lift the new springs in place..??

It definatly sounds like srpings.. where do you springs sit..? on top of the wheel..? or is there seperate peice like this..?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My springs sit on a little piece like yours...

They were "fairly" hard to lift and get to sit on the block. I was able to do it by myself, but with two hands. After I turned the adjustment block to high it was even harder.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by 650Indy
[br]what part# are your new springs..?

They should be round springs and have a bend in them..
They are round.

I can ge the p/n when i get home tonight.
They don't have a bend though, just a long and straight, then the spring, then short and straight. I just remembered the stock ones have the 463 and 464 stamped on them and the replacements have 461 and 462. I may be off an number, but the new springs are lower than the stock one. When I noticed this I searched google with the p/n and found a pdf file that showed this as correct. The medium weights had the lower number.

Ray

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep sounds like the springs arent under tension... Check to make sure the springs are resting in front of the adjuster blocks... just a thought. The springs are what keep it the back end up. It should come almost all the way back up on its own. There will be a little sag. Also make sure there is a coil spring on the front shock. Just thoughts off the top of my head. If you can maybe take some pics of the skid and post them here so we can see it, it might help us see something that isnt right...

EDIT{in the time it took me to type this at work it looks like you got some pics up.. sorry if i repeated anyone...)

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Grinch if you go to the web site www.ronnies/micro.htm you will be able to find diagrams for your suspension and part #'s I went there and found the front and rear torque arm suspension diagrams. I will post them (1996 storm)so they can help trigger some more ideas from the rest of the group. I know frequently I looked at something so long that I convinced myself that it was correct when in fact it was not. Check and recheck and triple check!
Good Luck!!

/snofan/../images/users/gmann/96 Storm Front Torque Arm.gif

/snofan/../images/users/gmann/96 Storm Rear Torque Arm.gif

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wait a minute.

I haven't owned a Polaris in a long time, but I'm seeing 2 different pictures here.

1 requires the spring on top of the adjuster.
The other requires it placed below.

You need to pay attention to which way your spring is wrapped.

If you suspension looks like the post above mine you need to have the spring below the adjuster.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep I think he's got them on backwards. I did that once... I think his should be infront or below the adjuster... Like the schematic shows.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now I'm confused. My suspension is setup like ACEXLT, or I think it should be. If I put the spring on the bottom of the adjuster I would have to switch the sides I currently have them on. I can't want to get home from work and check [:D]

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Yep you would just swap sides and then they would latch infront of the adjuster. All of my sleds have the spring in front of the block.

[edit] The fun part is you get to take the skid back out [xx(]

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it seems I was correct in the way I put it together. So I am really out of ideas. I have almost accepted the fact that this is how this sled is. Anyone have a buddy with one...maybe they are all like this. Here are the part numbers: 7041461-067 and 7041461-067 they say .421d. Here are some pics...I even have pics of the book to show that how I assembled is correct.
http://community.webshots.com/user/grinch1989

1 - 20 of 62 Posts