Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well was riding today rode a good 10 miles then on the way home the motor seized up. So im trying to figure out what it would cost to rebuild the motor? And are there any mods i can do to get more out of it. Im not sure wat happened as it was using oil but it was running a little rich. The sled is a 1995 zr 580 efi.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one is black other is black with grey on it and there are pieces in the one cylinder that has the grey on the plug.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Buying a used replacement motor will probably be considerably cheaper than rebuilding that. Then it will leave your old motor for spare parts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will a bigger motor drop right in? And if i go with a 580 does it have to be and efi motor or will the carb one work too?

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Wow, sorry about your luck man... That bottom end has to be effed to have chewed up that much stuff.

I can't tell ya much about what else will drop in, but I've seen a ton of them 580's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea its unstuck now only gets stuck when that piston gets to TDC and i cleaned it all out and cylinder is smooth and no holes in the piston. So im thinkin it was running fine just something in the bottom end let loose?

·
Registered
741 Posts
your going to want to split the bottom end and check everything over and clean it all out. I wonder what all those alum. scrap pieces are from? id for sure be tearing that motor down..

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Only gets stuck at the top?

All that crud in the cylinder means the jug is scored up.

All that crud in the top, means it came from the bottom, and got chewed up by the crank and rod.

It seized while running.

It's gonna need the crank indexed, if not have a piece replaced.. New crank bearings on that end, well, you might as well repolace them all while it's out, need the jug bored or replaced, mebbe a new rod, new piston and a full gasket set.

That's going to cost more than buying a replacement engine off ebay. Trust me, don't get attached to the original engine, I've put $1,100 into rebuilding the engine for my Storm when I could have replaced it for $800..

Do what you want, I'm just trying to save you the headache and loot...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea its unstuck now only gets stuck when that piston gets to TDC and i cleaned it all out and cylinder is smooth and no holes in the piston. So im thinkin it was running fine just something in the bottom end let loose?
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Only gets stuck at the top?

All that crud in the cylinder means the jug is scored up.

All that crud in the top, means it came from the bottom, and got chewed up by the crank and rod.

It seized while running.

It's gonna need the crank indexed, if not have a piece replaced.. New crank bearings on that end, well, you might as well repolace them all while it's out, need the jug bored or replaced, mebbe a new rod, new piston and a full gasket set.

That's going to cost more than buying a replacement engine off ebay. Trust me, don't get attached to the original engine, I've put $1,100 into rebuilding the engine for my Storm when I could have replaced it for $800..

Do what you want, I'm just trying to save you the headache and loot...

oh no im deffinatly gonna just replace it i found a different motor already. I just wanna know what happened and what caused it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts