Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the 580 motor is done there was LOTS! of play in each cyl like the pistons were 1 or 2 sizes to small. so i called up the polaris mechanic he told me So that i would half to take it to a machine shop get them to bore it .20 over then get .20 oversized pistons, rings, etc.the machine shop was going to cost me almost 100$ for each cyl and the oversized pistons 500$. When you add it all up plus the taxes i dont think it would be worth it. so should i get another 580 motor a 650, or a 680. it would be nice if i could get a 680 but if i get a 680 what changed would i half to make. the chaincase,secondary,jackshaft , cooling system maybe. thanks

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
any motor you want can be swapped in, but theyre all gonna take some time and effort.
and
youre gonna have to buy a used motor and who knows what youre gonna end up with, maybe a motor thatll last 5000 miles or maybe one thats not even gonna get the sled outta the garage.
my opinion its well worth rebuilding a motor and doing it RIGHT, that way you know what you have.
a used motor and all the time will prolly cost the same as doing your 580 right.
any really only need to swap motor, chaincase and all that will be ok, but then you have to regear, and clutch for that motor, get yourself the pipes and electronics, new carbs, yeah, really depends on where you wanna put your money and your plans with the sled.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Find another shop to do the rebuild. Mine only cost me about $350 to rebuild. .020 over, new pistons, rings, gaskets, wrist pin bearings.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
polaris-xlt said:
Well the 580 motor is done there was LOTS! of play in each cyl like the pistons were 1 or 2 sizes to small. so i called up the polaris mechanic he told me So that i would half to take it to a machine shop get them to bore it .20 over then get .20 oversized pistons, rings, etc.the machine shop was going to cost me almost 100$ for each cyl and the oversized pistons 500$. When you add it all up plus the taxes i dont think it would be worth it. so should i get another 580 motor a 650, or a 680. it would be nice if i could get a 680 but if i get a 680 what changed would i half to make. the chaincase,secondary,jackshaft , cooling system maybe. thanks
The guy that quoted you that price was doubling the costs he was giving you. You should be able to do the entire top end for under $500.

For any motor you swap in, you'll need the secondary to match the engine. Jackshaft, chaincase, and coolers should be fine going to 650 or 680.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Find a diffrent guy to do your machine work. My buddy had his 600 xlt done over the winter and it cost $40 to bore and hone EACH hole, $150 for the pistons, $70 for winderosa gasket set $55 for 2 crank bearings and $40 to install them and check the crank.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i looked and called around and nothing much cheaper the cheapest one was 88$ a hole and the top end kit from polaris so i think im just going to swap to a 680. any more advise for a 680 installation? thanks

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Yeah....

While you're looking for a 680, find one that already has the triple pipes, and is clutched and tuned for it. A 680 single will have noticeable difference in power over the old 580, but a triple/triple will be a whole new beast altogether.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
im not saying dont do the swap, but if its being done to save some money? its not gonna be worth it. like i said before if youre buying a used motor youre getting just that, a used and possibly abused motor, and when the 680 fails they cant just be bored, they need replated.
the swap is a very good desicion if youre looking for performance and youll love the power of a 680 with triple pipes!
is this your only sled? every though of just buying an ultra? youd have newer suspension etc? only asking.
also if you buy a used 680, first thing id do is replace the waterpump, or rebuild it. dont forget while looking youll need new carbs with it. theyre cheap, but the 34s from youre sled wont work on a 680.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
make sure the triple pipes are the stock polaris pipes. They were better on the 680 than any aftermarket triple pipes.

also, stay away from the 1996 680s, they had the bad water pumps, had less porting in the cylinders, and didn't have stock triple pipes.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
97 sp didnt have triple pipes either. the problem with the stock triple pipes is they wont fit the wedge chassis as good as aftermarket pipes for the 96-97 sp. they were a wedge chassis, best scenario is a spx motor with aftermarket pipes from from a sp. dont forget the cdi for the 680 as well. the spx models had a better cdi to use as well.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Ah yes, true story^^^
the aggressive chassis 680's had stock trip pipes, such as the spx and xcr 700

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
polaris-xlt said:
well i looked and called around and nothing much cheaper the cheapest one was 88$ a hole and the top end kit from polaris so i think im just going to swap to a 680. any more advise for a 680 installation? thanks
When your ready, and you got that 680 motor, give me a holler and I'll help set you up. I read all the post from 1-12 and the only one that didn't give you a bunch of BLAH BLAH BLAH was Poo-Kid.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
so mister wee willie,
why was my postings a bunch of blah blah blah, please enlighten us, i was only trying to help someone out.
instead of posting that were a bunch of blah blah blah, why not explain why, so us who posted those threads know what were doing wrong, other who read this post may also be able to find good info from it, and wont have to start another thread.
im not saying im definately right, but why not help everyone out.
i merely offer my opinions and what i do feel is right. many times ive been corrected and im one of the few here who do admit it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Bigwedgies,

Your first post was the best advice and cheapest in the end. A fresh engine is better than a used questionable engine.

Polaris-xlt, as BW mentioned, changing pipes, electronics, air box, clutching, extra rear cooler and revalving front shocks with matching springs etc.- It is gonna cost you double a top end build, all your riding time tuning (cause I don't think your a tuner now) and in the end your sled will not be worth any more, probably less.

Just my opinion, but if youre worried about $500 then you should really be worried about actual costs of changing engine.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The wee Willie thing is funny,Hahahaha
The reason I said blah,blah,blah was for the fact that it didn't seem to me that any one really gave Mr. XLT info on HOW to set the motor up, just alot of negs on the 680 motor. Example: not worth the money, water pump, gearing, clutching, after market pipes, (how does) [highlight=yellow]ect,ect,ect[/highlight=yellow] sound rather than blah,blah,blah.

The 96-98 SP can be set up the same as the SPX, SPX is jetted different for the pipes which can be done with the SP, clutching: change weight and spring you now have SPX. I could go on and on, but I too can admit when I'm wrong and after reading my post this morning I do sound a bit harsh.
I do have a good combo that's fairly inexpensive to do, and when or if Polaris-XLT is ready OR anyone eles for that matter can give me a shout and I'd be more than happy to help them out.

(wee) Willie....that's still funny!![thumb]

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
thanks for clearing things up
i do apologize for trying to critisize? your screen name, was very childish on my part, but im glad you saw it how i was reading it, and it looked like you were saying we all had no clue.
i do agree the ultra motor would be a great upgrade to performance. i only tried to steer him in the direction i personally saw best fit for what seemed like someone trying to do this on a budget. after purchasing a 680 motor, clutching, pipes, carbs, eletronics, airbox, on and on and on, hes gonna be into it for alot more then a $500 rebuild. not to mention time and so forth. and the fact that my experience with buying a used motor is youre getting just that, a used motor. you dont know the history, unless youre buying it from someone you do really know the history of it. it may have a crank bearing ready to go, or a water pump that was never rebuilt and ready to go, again i could go on and on. but by rebuilding the 580 he knows what he has.
i saw his posting as asking what the best direction to go in his situation was, not how to install the 680.
i do believe you and a few other guys here have very good reputations as knowing what your doing, and i respect that. but i thought myself and the other posting 1-12 were helpful to his situation, and we all only did what anyone could do in a internet forum, offer our opinion and see what others have to say.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Been there done that.
I put a 680 mod in my XLT and it ran awesome. A hobby project but not realistic. XCR800 was a better project. Stock it ran much better than the mod ever did. Find a 2k xcr800.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ultra680 said:
Been there done that.
I put a 680 mod in my XLT and it ran awesome. A hobby project but not realistic. XCR800 was a better project. Stock it ran much better than the mod ever did. Find a 2k xcr800.
Seeing as how you brought that up here's an APB 2000 XCR 800 VES whole sled for $1850.00 or motor w/o exchange $1200.00.. I have 2-3 pics to E-mail. motor has just under 3000 miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts