Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I moved to mountain riding country and purchased a new Mountain sled.

My question is is what kind of gear should I be getting. I will be riding this weekend and won't have all of it, just borrowing friends' extra stuff. I know I will need some kind of pack to carry my water/sandwich and stuff in, one of those collapsable shovels/saws, and most importantly a beacon. What kind of stuff should I be looking for.

What is your guy's preferences on packs and shovels etc... and most importantly what is a good beacon for the money. I want a beacon that is real good, but which ones are a good buy? I am not going to skimp on one and buy a cheapo because it is a pretty serious matter.

Just looking for some opinions. I will probably go to the dealer tomorrow or the next day and get a pack for my supplies anyway. Any h elp is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I got an opinion on a few things....

As for a pack you have lots of choices, you want something small and sleek yet it has to have enough room to carry what you need. I chose the Dakine Heli Pro, the pack has lots of storage and lots of room yet has a real sleek slim profile. The other thing is make it light because if it is heavy you will be miserable for the last half of the day.

As for a shovel my opinion would be to go with either a BCA model or a SOS model. I guess that I am probably just prejudice to these 2 because it is all I have used. I know that a lot of people on Snowest praise BCA. Whatever you do buy an aluminum one because if you have hard snow and break a lexan one it is not gonna do you any good, I would rather carry a little more weight then have a shovel that can break.

As for the beacon I can't help you because I do not have one and have not really looked in to them much so I do not want to give you wrong advice.

Do your research and ask you friends to see what they say, backcountry.com has a lot of products and many of them have user reviews. I did a lot of research on here before making my decisions.

Hope this helps,
DW

·
Registered
6,044 Posts
Don't get the little military type fold up shovel, they suck for moving snow.
The ones made for sledding are not that expensive and work so much better. Handle normally removes for easy storing in your pack.
Snobunje is a great thing. Mine is strapped on to my pack for easy access.

Ortovox F-1 is good for the money and reliable. About $240
The prices for good beacons will go up from there, but the F-1 is good and reliable.

Get a pack that will hold your shovel as it always sucks to have to dig to get to your shovel.

Gortex gear is expensive but is also what will keep you dry.
I run the Klim valdez parka shell with only a motocross jersey under it.
We ride hard enough that I stay warm with just that.
I close my zip vents when it gets down around -10 or so.

For the bottom half I run the Klim Togatee bibs and a pair of fleece pants under them.

Don't forget spare gloves as you will be getting a pair or 2 wet getting your self unstuck.

Motocross helmet and goggles is the ONLY way to go here.
Full face helmets with face shields always fog up and they suck for mountain riding in general.

Hopefully some of this helps.
Darin

·
Registered
80 Posts
You will defenantly need a snobunje http://www.snobunje.com/store.php?crn=69&rn=274&action=show_detail
Good luck

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I run with Klim gear, same as SD. Also have SOS gear, prob, shovel, back pack. I use a tracker for a beacon and hope never to use it. Motor corss style helmet - yes, gloves- yes extra gloves, and YES I love the Bungie too!!

I wear Snowboarder boots, removeable liner, good support with out major stiffness. if you go this route ensure they are eye holes for the laces that way the boots wont rip your seat.

Everyone has stated great points, check whats in your price range and do a bit of research for what is gonna be best for you.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
i just have a polaris iq coat and polaris pipeline pants not as expensive as the gortex stuff like klim but I have never had a problem keeping worm and dry in it. moto-x style helmet, your gunna find yourself coming back to your truck or cabin sometimes and the sun right in your eyes. just tilt your head and the visor blocks it out. also like how more free it is than a fully enclosed one. fogproff goggles are a must. I store a shovel on my 900 rmk (tunnel extension) and carry one in my backpack when driving my powder special and ultra. My backpack is a $25 one from walmart and I love it. plenty of storage and the bottom unzips and makes the pack twice as big if you want. gloves I wear big thick gloves for the trail ride, and I have 2 sets of (mechanixs gloves)that I carry with me for boondocking.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I use mainly SOS products, they are an Alberta based company with a good rep. Shovel that fits in the back pack is the best IMO. SOS transceiver and one thing everyone is not recommending to get and that is a PROBE, without it you will have a hell of a time finding someone. I've only used mine for checking snow depth.
Make sure that all the transceivers are compatible throughout your group (I think they all are now), play hide the transceiver with your group and get comfortable with using it.
Take an avalanche course
You can buy the best of the best, but if you don't know what to do with it, you are kinda useless

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I think most people where implying a probe with the beacon. but ya good thing to have too.

·
Registered
963 Posts
i would go and get the sos survival kit. shovels are great and very light. the one i have the handle comes off and pulls out a big saw. i just have a north face backback and it is very spacious with lots of compartments.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Everyone has listed some good things but make sure whatever snowpants you go with have the ability to cinch down around your boots or tight and clip to your laces. Otherwise you will need to get some gaitors. Your going to have to get into the deep stuff at one point or another to dig yourself out and you won't want to have to go the rest of the day with snow in your boots.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My list:

HMK backpack
Metal shovel
Probes
Beacon Ortovox (On me, not in the pack)
cell phone
Small first aid kit
Waterproof matches
firestarter (Don't laugh, carry a tampon. Hold string, dip in gas tank, makes good fire.)
extra gloves (Warm bulky snowboard type, not thin riding type)
socks
flashlight (Wind-up type, no batteries needed)
granola bars
Gatoraid
leatherman
hat (beanie, not ball cap)
hand warmers

Also, I use a muffpot, and consider it part of my survival equipment. Throw some gas station burritos in when you leave the parking lot or I even seen a Marie Calender's Lasagna cooked in them.It's good and hot by lunch time. Then you can leave a bag of little smokies in it the rest of the day without burning them. If you know you have to spend the night, a good hot meal will start you off on the right foot. If you make it back to thwe truck, the smokies are hot and ready for the ride home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts