Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Wisconsin their are no mountains, all riding is on groomed trails. My question is how well do mountain machines handle and perform on groomed trails. I can purchase a new 2008 M1000 with full Arctic cat warrenty for $6200.00, that is why I am considering it.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I don't have a mountain sled, but I would think the biggest concern would be if there is enough loose snow on the trails to keep enough snow moving over the heat exchangers and to keep the hyfax cool. I've got a friend that did some trail riding with an M8 and he was constantly looking for "deep" spots just to keep that thing cooled down.

·
Registered
388 Posts
stevegoetsch said:
In Wisconsin their are no mountains, all riding is on groomed trails. My question is how well do mountain machines handle and perform on groomed trails. I can purchase a new 2008 M1000 with full Arctic cat warrenty for $6200.00, that is why I am considering it.
I just bought a 700 Dragon 163. Only riden it 250 miles total (on the trails). It has a 2.4 inch lug and I was surprised at how well it did on the trails. Never really felt the deep lugs and hotest temp the gage showed was 160 degrees. Last 24 inch of rail is tipped up.

2 biggest problems I found are the short handle bars really tiring out my arms and the front of the track is set down for deep snow which makes it a little "rolly" on trail corners. Haven't had a chance to do any adjusting on it yet . I should add that this is not my primary ride, which is an 09 600 Dragon Switch back

·
Registered
918 Posts
It will push through the corners more than a 121 so its not as fast in the twisties but the longer track will absorb the bumps alot better. As long as it has a sway bar you should be fine.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
SnoKing said:
stevegoetsch said:
I just bought a 700 Dragon 163. Only riden it 250 miles total (on the trails). It has a 2.4 inch lug and I was surprised at how well it did on the trails. Never really felt the deep lugs and hotest temp the gage showed was 160 degrees. Last 24 inch of rail is tipped up.

2 biggest problems I found are the short handle bars really tiring out my arms and the front of the track is set down for deep snow which makes it a little "rolly" on trail corners. Haven't had a chance to do any adjusting on it yet . I should add that this is not my primary ride, which is an 09 600 Dragon Switch back
160 is HOT!!! My dragon, the highest I ever see unless it is going to burn down is 126 degrees.

I mountain sled handles like a tank on the trails, they are slow, big machines and you would be better off getting a sled fit for your needs. Ever wonder why you got it so cheap out there?

·
Registered
249 Posts
You could buy it, and take it for a few test rides on the trails and if you like it keep it and if you don't like it take,it out west and sell it for more than you bought it and make some $$.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've used a mountain sled on the trails for a couple years now. Currently using a 159 800 RMK. Just make sure you have ice scratchers and you will be fine. Frankly the handling stuff doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
567 Posts
depends how agressive you wanna run i can pound my 159 800 but it pushes you can slide em but it takes some practice and weight and throttle positioning. and the m8 stays cool just run ice scratchers makes a big difference

1 - 9 of 9 Posts