Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97' Mountain Max that always seems to run hot. I have to constantly run through dep snow to keep the running board radiator cool. Today I took it out and our trails are hardpacked, I drove about 10 minutes and the thing blew boiling the overflow tank over. Do these sleds always run hot or is mine an abberation? Maybe it needs a new water pump, but the running board radiator seems a lousy system. I may just get rid of it and get something else its such a frustrating machine, always something.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What temperatures are you running it at? It could be a water pump but I doubt it. Also make sure there is no air pockets in the system. Raise the back of the sled in the air, take out the bleeder screw and let the air escape. Could be jetting the carbs wrong for elevation/pressure/temperature too if you ride it in the mountains. They are set up from the factory to run certain elevations. Check the clutching too. Don't give up on her, once you get the bugs out, you'll love it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say what temp am I running it at are you talking about outside air temp? If so, generally in the 20's. Yesterday it was 27 out when it overheated. I was at an elevation of @ 3,000', I normally ride in the 3,000'-4,500' elevation. The guy I bought it from always ran it in the same elevation also, although he never said (or told me if he did) he had overheating problems. Would it make sense to just drain the coolant out and start from scratch with a fresh batch? whats the best way to make sure that the system is full without any air? Bleeding it as you describe?

·
Registered
660 Posts
10 Minutes....Thats very quick. I personaly would start to assume their is a problem. Possibly a water pump, Restricted flow....Something. Outside air temp only pays so much, at 25 degrees I think you can rule that out...Hard pack trails, paddle track not the best for getting snow up into the heat exchangers, But in 10 minutes....It sounds like you arn't flowing coolent. That motor came in a varity of sleds and nobody I know running thoes have complained about over heating that I am aware of. Start looking for problems.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the 700 triple since i didnt say that before. I have never really looked at the pump or the cooling system to any degree before on this sled. Whats the best way to try to flush it? Also, how can I tell if the pump is working or not? Is this a pretty simple replacement (pump) if I need to do that?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts