Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 MM 700, at least thats what I think it is and thats what I was told when I bought it. On the side of the tunnel it says manufactured 6-96, so does this mean its really a 1996? The reason I ask is that I had the carbs cleaned out as it was hard starting. I took it out today and it started right up, drove it about 3 miles and the engine temp light comes on. I stop and shut the thing off, the coolant level was low (I should have checked). When I go to start it up after lettiong it cool off, it just wont start at all. I ended up having to haul it back on the trailer. I call the place that did the carb work and the guy tells me to check the carb heater coolant switch and make sure its off and change the plugs again as that could have fouled them. I have a 97' manual I got online and when I look at the diagram of the carb coolant line and switch its different than my engine. There is no coolant lines to my carbs I can see. Did early 97' or 96' MM 700s have this feature? Could it be that the engine overheating could have boiled off the gas in the carbs like the carb heater would have anyway? I guess I will change the plugs, top off the coolant and run it and see what happens. Frustating as I have yet to have a decent ride on thsi machine without some problem. Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
366 Posts
The date of 6-96 would mean that it is a 1997. The pictures in a manual do not always match the actual assembly. I do not know if it would have a carb heater, but the guy who worked on it should know. And he should have left the switch off.
You may have cooked the motor. Take a compression check.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am certain it doesnt have the carb heater, I can see the part of the carb body casting where the hoses would go and they have never been drilled out to accept the coolant lines. Must be some they didnt install the heater. As far as compression I will have to check, at leats pull starting it I can feel compression

1 - 3 of 3 Posts