Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do Mountain Sleds handle and perform on groomed trails? I can purchase a new 2008 M1000 for $6200.00 with full Arctic Cat warrenty,but in Wisconsin their are no mountains so the riding is done on groomed trails, would this machine be a wise choice for trails or would it be disappointing.

·
Registered
863 Posts
well since its a "mountain sled" and not a "trail sled" it wont be as good as a trail sled obviously, although when the trails are rough, the long track would help bridge bumps.
a problem though is that it may over heat often.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
Why would you buy a MTN sled to ride trails? It would not be a wise choice IMO.You will burn up hyfax,have cooling issues and be ripping out lugs if you mainly ride trails.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I think you should put a 174x3" track on it and you will never have to worry about getting stuck.

If you plan on strictly trail riding buy a short track or a crossover sled, not a mountain sled. There is likely a reason there is a carryover mountain sled somewhere there isn't mountains. With a mountain sled you will have to invest in ice scratchers to have a chance of riding without the sled overheating and melting hyfax. A mountain sled has a narrower ski stance for sidehilling and will make handling a little more of a challenge in the twisty trails than a trail sled.

·
Registered
538 Posts
it will be really squirrelly, you'll burn up hyfax, i dont thing it will overheat but you will rip lugs out and it will just handle terrible.

unless you put a 1.25" lug trail track on it and set up the suspension for trail riding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i have a 2000 powder special. it has a 1.25in track on it and a different front suspension. has the wide ZL front stance as opposed to powder front. no away bar and wide front skis. handles great!. took a while to get used to it but i love it now. long track covers the bumps and it has enough grips on the running boards to stand up while ridding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The cross over snowmobile are your best choice if you like to trail ride and have fun in the powder. I own a swirchback with the 144 in track and i don't get stuck very often, usually it my own fault when it happens. As for the trail riding it not the best but it is far from the worst.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
i think that u should buy a 136 sled or a 144 with tip up rails. If u plan on mountain riding then yeah a mountain sled is a good sleds. but sine u want to crossover u should buy a crossover sled. or u could buy a 121 and extend it to a 136 or 144 just seen this on ebay this would be cool
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-Pro-X-Price-Performance-970-Twin-136-Track_W0QQitemZ170456017205QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSnowmobiles?hash=item27aff86935

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You would do decent if you do some off-trail. But if you ride all on trail i wouldn't do it. Even though everybody says you shouldn't ride mtn sleds on trails, my buddy has a 01 Mountain Cat 800, 159x2 inch paddle track. The majority of his riding this winter was on trails. He probably put on 800 miles. He also rode a bunch down here. It really did pretty well. Other than a broken chain and some broken parts on the secondary he had no problem. On the trail it threw up a lot more chunks, but he is making a longer snow flap. As soon as it got off trail it would go anywhere he wanted it to go. His dad has a late 90s or so Powder Special 700 with a 2 inch paddle track and he does a lot of on-trail riding, and he has never had a problem with it either. The only real problem he has with the long track is fitting it in the trailer.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
arnt they geared really low too, so when cruising at like 50 it would be reving alot higher then a trail sled

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
polarisripper28 said:
arnt they geared really low too, so when cruising at like 50 it would be reving alot higher then a trail sled
They are geared lower, but they aren't that bad. The speedo cable on the Mountain Cat is broke, but we were running down a road one day and i was staying with him and my speedo read 85. He was probably doing 75 or so, and still had some more throttle. He did get a lot lower mileage than us, around 7 or 8 MPGs but he is also turning a huge track and is always mashing the throttle.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Compare the long track sled vs. short track sled on trails to a crew cab long box truck vs. a sports car on a windy twisty road.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Unless you plan on going in deep powder a lot, I would say no, plus you'll just tear up the trails and your track.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
A mountain sled is for the mountains its pretty much that simple. If you want a sled that will work well on the trails without being a monster headache, i recommend a crossover sled 136/137/141 or a standard shorty with a 120/121/128

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
stevegoetsch said:
How do Mountain Sleds handle and perform on groomed trails? I can purchase a new 2008 M1000 for $6200.00 with full Arctic Cat warrenty,but in Wisconsin their are no mountains so the riding is done on groomed trails, would this machine be a wise choice for trails or would it be disappointing.
where in Wisconsin are you from?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
They handle like a tank...

Horrible, I hate riding a mountain sled down a trail.

Buy some scratchers for it or you will burn your hifax up in a few miles if it is hardpack snow.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I could make an omelet with a chainsaw, but a fork works a lot better. The chainsaw is meant to chop down trees, just like a mountain sled is made to ride powder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bj.hardy said:
stevegoetsch said:
where in Wisconsin are you from?
Wausau, The machines are at Kens Sports - Kaukauna

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
barney said:
Compare the long track sled vs. short track sled on trails to a crew cab long box truck vs. a sports car on a windy twisty road.
Bingo!!!

Long track will not like to turn corners, and if it's a deep lug it will break off all the lugs on hard-pack.

Stay away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts