Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
post here what you think how mountain riding sleds work for drag racing and some corners on a flat field.

Kevin Tarbox

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have heard mountain sleds cant take corners as well as the short track sleds. does any one else have diffrent opinions on how mountain sleds work for corners and drag racing.And how do normal sleds handle upon mountains?i realy almost never will get to go on the moutains but i really wanna try some day. please respond ASAP

Kevin Tarbox

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Well for drag racing I am really not an expert on that but for the field thing if there was a lot of snow in the field then the mountain sled would be better than a short track.

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
more of the fluffy stuff the better the long track. the less of the fluffy stuff, the better the regular track. They dont corner quite as good, but unless ur driving down tight trails or need to turn around quick, u dont notice it all that much.

Ready to Ride...NEED SNOW!!!!!!...if you have snow, i hate you...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks. so a short track probaly wouldnt handle to good in the mountains?

Kevin Tarbox

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It's not that a short track wouldn't be good (and fun), you can just get stuck a bit easier.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
this is one of the largest controversies around where i ride. it's flat here, but a lot of people seem to think they need a mountain sled. i wouldn't ever get one if you ride trails and ditches. in that case, they suck. they are quite a bit harder to turn, but the traction is great. personally, if i lived in the mountains i'd probably get a 700 short track and put a 2" paddle on it. it's mainly rider's skill, but it is obvious a 151" track can get you further. i like the challenge i guess. long tracks aren't good for jumping, unless you plan on landing in powder. the suspension is much lighter, and won't stand up to as much abuse. also, with the longer track, the sled tends to 'climb' off a jump more and not release as quickly, making it almost mandatory to use your brake every time. i can vouch for this, a good friend bent the tunnel on his brand new 800 ac mc doing this. also, the mountain sleds have a narrower ski stance, so they are less stable. more and more new sleds have adjustable stances though, curing this. it all depends on where you ride. i know way too many people who got a mountain sled because it's 'top of the line' vs a trail sled, but it doesn't fit their riding style in the least. i'd say it's better to have a short track in the mountains than a long track in the flats. just my .02

There's no stopping Arctic Cat........ REALLY!!

'99 XC SP 500

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i kinda got talked into my powder special, once i got it, i realize its not really what i need for how i ride. I see what u mean by how the suspension would be weaker. The long track w/ 2in paddles will get u farther than a 121in track w/ 2in paddles. my 136in track w/ 2inchers will go through quite a bit. I seem to lose lots of speed because of the longer track. i have managed 80 in bout a half mile stretch in a semi rough ditch w/ not much throttle left, of course...it is all ur personal preference

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'd have to say that long track are not to bad for field riding and some trail riding, though with the long track riding on trails with not alot of snow is hell on your hifaxs and will burn them up quick if not carfull. As for short track in the mountains, they work fine! I ride a 600 XC and hang with the RMK's and Mountain Max's that I ride with. Yes a 151" track will get you farther and higher, but when they get stuck it usually takes a damn crane to get them out! Up here we have both styles of riding and there are sleds that will suit each better but from experience they both can do fine where ever they ride. Oh as for draggin a mountain sled, they have amazing low end but most top out around 90, so they aren't good for long stretches.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
yup, my powder special has some balls in the low end, get the skis up pretty easy. Its a damn heavy peice of equipment in waste deep snow tho....i'd hate to have a arctic cat mountian cat 1000 and get that beast stuck, wait till spring to get that out, or go get the helicopter and airlift it out.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by arctic-cat-guy:

yup, my powder special has some balls in the low end, get the skis up pretty easy. Its a damn heavy peice of equipment in waste deep snow tho....i'd hate to have a arctic cat mountian cat 1000 and get that beast stuck, wait till spring to get that out, or go get the helicopter and airlift it out.

Ready to Ride...NEED SNOW!!!!!!...if you have snow, i hate you...[/quote]

That is practically what it took to get my old storm unstuck too!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

·
Registered
4 Posts
i ride a tricked out mountain sled and i can road race with the best of short tracks. it takes bigger balls and a little more hanging out to the side but they turn just as good except maybe those big ol 151 and 156 inchers. they tend to push the front in corners. my 136 inch is perferct for road rage and steep and deep

frank traher

·
Registered
948 Posts
What's yer sled hossp?

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ahhh, 96 Ultra. Just saw it in 'my sled'

I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
4 Posts
yea it is very trick and i have yet to find a 700 that will completley leave me behind

frank traher

·
Registered
149 Posts
We ride ours in the flats a lot but only when there is deep powder to play in. But on the crusty compact snow we take em up to the hills. The 136 is great on the trail but it is not as fast as agile as a 121. The extra track does soak up the bumps better though IMO. Mtn sleds arn't the best drag racers because of the longer track an lower gearing (unless its in 3 feet of fresh).

I need spellcheck!

91 RXL/SKS 650
91 Exciter II 570

·
Registered
506 Posts
mountain sleds are better for drag racing, think about it for a second, it's more track on the ground, that's like taking a car with narrow tires and racing it against exactly the same car that's been tubbed out, all things being equal, the tubbed out one will win assuming that it's a relativly short strip that your racing (relative is like a mile or so by my estimate)

longer track is more hook, more drag to, but what you lose in drag you'll MORE than make up for in traction for drag racing, I doubt that you'll ever see a longtrack run an incredible radar top speed, but this is all just my mechanical theory here, I'll be racing a longtrack on grass this year, so I'll be able to tell you guys the be all and end all of the drag racing bit.

they may be called snowmobiles, but hiding behind that is a cheap excuse to not grass drag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts