Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have swapped suspensions to an xtra-10 or anything else for that matter, how have you guys been re-attaching the mounting plates? Have you been riveting them back in or bolting? If riveting, will pop rivets be enough (1/4" ones)?

thanks.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Have seen some bolt them one.
I use 1/4 pop rivots, not the plain one's. Look up a cherry max or hauck magna lock. You will need the big rivot gun too, it wil break the hand one's.
I have been using stainless rivots, and got this advise from the snowest guys.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by gbaronet
[br]Have seen some bolt them one.
I use 1/4 pop rivots, not the plain one's. Look up a cherry max or hauck magna lock. You will need the big rivot gun too, it wil break the hand one's.
I have been using stainless rivots, and got this advise from the snowest guys.
Ok thanks for the tip. I was wondering about whether the aluminum ones would be strong enough. Stainless would definitely be a good idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just poot EXTA 10 in my XCR and i went down to the local dealer and got the factory rivets, much better than bolts or pop rivets but it requires an air chisel and a tool that mushrooms the rivet off, VERY hard to do alone but possible, if you like numbness

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by kittykiller
[br]I just poot EXTA 10 in my XCR and i went down to the local dealer and got the factory rivets, much better than bolts or pop rivets but it requires an air chisel and a tool that mushrooms the rivet off, VERY hard to do alone but possible, if you like numbness
haha, no numbness is not all that fun. Where do you get this tool though and how much is it?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I called bout those, pack of 50 was a bout 50 bucks. Sounds like you can use a air hammer and a bucking bar. It is the $$ route. DElear had no stock 10 days from the states.
I bought a big 1/4 rivot gun from princess, was 30 bucks. Rivets I got from Spaenaur and had 50 left over from another project. Hope to mount the new plates next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently did the same thing you are doing on my 99 XC 700. I used 1/4 20 allen head bolts w/ nylon lock nuts and had no problems yet, plus they look a lot better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you tell me what the big deal is about the xtra-10 or 12...I'm just getting back into sledding and haven't had alot of experience with the tracks or suspension. Are these new ones wider, or more articulate or what's the deal with them?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I was able to keep the front mount where it was, and the rear mount still caught enough meet of the bracket, so we didnt have to reattach the mounting bracket. this was a swap from an 8 inch stock, 95 xcr, to a 2000 extra 10 from a triumph. My sons other 95 xcr, blew ALL the factory rivets, when it was mounted in the "deep snow" hole under the sled. Since then, we set it back into the chassis, using pan head bolts.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by NewMC
[br]Can you tell me what the big deal is about the xtra-10 or 12...I'm just getting back into sledding and haven't had alot of experience with the tracks or suspension. Are these new ones wider, or more articulate or what's the deal with them?
Basically the XTRA-10 and -12 gave a huge improvement in ride quality over the suspensions that preceded them. They were the first "coupled" suspensions offered in a production sled. Suspension coupling is a whole different topic, so if you want, you can do some reading here. The page is a little dated, but the info is still good. Thanks to pigboy for this link.

http://pages.cthome.net/barts/Tech%20Tips.htm#coupling

1 - 10 of 10 Posts