Snowmobile Fanatics banner

moving sled around garage

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  The_Mad_Warrior 
#1 ·
might be an old trick, but thought it is neat. for those who have kids, im sure they have some skateboards, 1 under each ski, and the a creeper under the track,(peice of styrofoam on top of it for studs) . a lot cheaper than the dollys for $$$$$$ had to share this.

#2 ·
lol that works or if your dad does construction on a wal mart he can steel three of the dollys that they use to move the shelves around.....works great a hell of alot cheaper than the magazine ones...

#3 ·
Seems like a cheap easy idea. Direction is kind of limited unless you place them in the direction of travel.

#4 ·
Originally posted by F7-Fanatic
[br]Seems like a cheap easy idea. Direction is kind of limited unless you place them in the direction of travel.
cant snap a 90 degree turn but surprisingly enough, it does work. i have a 1 car garage that is where the "sled tune-up " shop is and i can drive in and spin it around in there and drive out.

#6 ·
I use sled dollies now and I wouldnt go without them now! They make life so much easier when you have a one car garage with 3 sleds in there!!! Your idea is great if you have that stuff laying around. I dont have any kids and it would cost me more to buy a couple skateboards and a creeper than just pick up a new set of sled dollies

#9 ·
I bought dollies from Northern tool, they were 25 bucks. I didn't think they were to expensive.

#10 ·
I had a guy give me a set of three of the actual sled rollers, but they were missing some wheels. I grabbed an old office chair that had wheels that matched almost exactly and whoo hoo, free set! They work great.

#11 ·
Originally posted by ko19
[br]I had a guy give me a set of three of the actual sled rollers, but they were missing some wheels. I grabbed an old office chair that had wheels that matched almost exactly and whoo hoo, free set! They work great.
hell yah when the price is right.....thers ni complaning

#16 ·
I made a set out of 4 plastic lawn mower wheels & a pair of casters.
Princess Auto sell the wheels for less that 5 each ususally; I think I paid $1.99 each on sale.
Take a 2x6 and cut it to about 1 foot long & put 3/4 inch plywood along the edges so that
it makes a craddle for your skis; you might want to make 2 like this.

Get a lag bolt big enough to act as your axle for the wheels.
Put washers on either side of the wheel & screw the lag bolt with the wheels
into the side of the 2x6 offset so that the bolts dont meet in the moddle of the wood.

Screw the caster onto the front of the underside of the dolly & away you go.

You can get fancy by welding up axles with cotter pins at each end but that just takes
more time & effort.... mine work great.

You can use a creeper if your not going to just drive it or carry the back end.

I will post some pics later.

Kev

#17 ·
I use them lil sled dollies too, would never go without em again, they're easy to stick under each ski an all...i can spin my machine around in circles no probs...

See, and our shop gets kinda full, so it's important for us to be able to move our machines around easily...

[attachment=61363]

[attachment=61364]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.