Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. I have a 96 Panther with twin V34 carbs. It runs great, however it seems to idle very high, just under clutch engagement. I have looked at the diagrams for these carbs and see the idle screw, but my question is how do you adjust the idle and make sure each carb and cylinder are ideling the same? This may be a dumb question, but before i start turning screws, i thought I would ask. Any advice will be appriciated.

Thanks,

Tom[?]

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would turn the idle screw on one carb until the idle slows down some, then turn the other one until it lowers some more, and repeat until you get it where you want it.

Purists will use some type of flow meter, such as a Uni-syn to get the flow on each carb exact; but you can get it really close just by adjusting one, then the other...

Does the idle go down substantially if you blip the choke for a few seconds? If so, you may have a crankcase seal going out, leaking air in, causing a lean condition... lean will also make the idle increase... If you spray some carb cleaner around the seal with the engine running, there should be no difference in RPM.. if there is, the seal is going out...

If it is a lean condition and the crank seals appear ok, you can turn the air screw in a bit on both carbs to richen the idle air/fuel mix; sometimes that will help as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try. Not sure about the leaks, I'll have to look into it.
I just picked up the machine last week for dirt cheap. It is in great condition, but was only running on one cylinder when I bought it. The carb on the brake side was junked up. A quick cleaning had both cylinders running and other than the high idel the machine has ran like a champ for about 300 miles now. I was just affraid to start turning screws without much idea what I was doing.

Thanks again for your help. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Tom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I could not stand the thought of my machine running better so easily...so I went out and played with the idle screws until the rpm's dropped and the engine sounded smooth... took her for a quick spin around the lake and she purrs like the Cat she is and idles like a Lamb.

Dan, thanks for your help.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts